It is currently Fri 19 Apr, 2024 - 12:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Save MineCraft Classic!
PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug, 2012 - 5:50 pm 
Assistant

MineCraft Classic was just removed from the homepage of MineCraft.net. Join me and several other people in stopping this. A petition was just started up on twitter to get minecraft classic back on the homepage. It's over here: http://twitition.com/m9pvs. Also, follow then entire conversation here: https://twitter.com/jonty800. Cheer jonty on as we try to bring it all back.

Save Hawknet, Save Hawkserv, and Save MineCraft Classic.

~Ask not what your server can do for you. Ask what you can do for your server~

Offline Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug, 2012 - 6:44 pm 
Admin

I wonder how many more signatures they'll get if they didn't force people to use Twitter.

I'd rather not use Twitter, but I'm more than happy to sign it.

Also, we don't need anything from Minecraft.net to allow Minecraft Classic clients to connect to our server. The only thing Minecraft.net does, is list our server in a list of all servers, showing the name, players, and other information heartbeated to it. HawkServ will have a vastly superior system to this, based off the same principle. It will list all Classic servers running HawkServ, and show more information, like player ranks, loaded worlds, etc. I do have other ideas for it too in later developments. An example of this can be found here: http://hawkserv.co.uk/servers.php

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2012 - 4:46 am 
Assistant

Zion, the reason why we all jumped at the deletion of the link, means that MineCraft classic will soon fade. If there is no link on the homepage, new players wont join, and classic will fade rather quickly. Also, singleplayer will be gone if they remove the link. (Then I wont get to use my MineCraft Survival-Test jar :O) After a ton of arguing and solid reasoning, we got the link back on the homepage. However, we have been told it is not permanent. We even gave Mollstam the idea of converting classic to MineCraft protocol 8, where it can have a message saying that MineCraft classic is an outdated version of MineCraft. Also, I Photoshoped this:https://twitter.com/Le_Chosen_One/status/233336622089900032/photo/1/large to possibly make Mollstam see a compromise. :\ I have no clue if we can win this argument.

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2012 - 9:59 pm 
Operator

but.... if the minecraft classic list isnt available, wouldn't that mean that we wont have guests?

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2012 - 10:15 pm 
Agent

We would, but they'd need to join with WoM

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2012 - 11:42 pm 
Admin

Or another Minecraft dedicated client.

Also, LeChosen, I don't want to burst any bubbles, but if a company is spending more money to provide a service that isn't making money, it will be the first to be dropped. We should all be thankful that the Classic Protocol has been running for as long as it has, and it was inevitable that it would eventually be dropped. I think that since they now offer the Demo version of the full release, and may soon be changing the database system to allow users to alter nicknames, having to manage a classic server list will add more to their plate that will be unrewarding. This is the entire reason Hawknet dropped it's product list, because it was taking too much time to manage and update, and it never made us a penny.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug, 2012 - 2:39 am 
Assistant

Hm, this also means that people who can't afford smp wont be able to (legally) play multiplayer. Even if people will join with wom, it is inevitable that classic will leave. Yes, minecraft has done wonders keeping classic up. But, to be honest, if minecraft had never offered classic, I would have never bought premium. This is true for a lot of players. I can name 30+ right off the bat. (I'm sure there are more, thats just the people that I know.) MineCraft Classic IS making Mojang money. Just not directly. Also, how much does classic really cost Mojang? Mojang isn't hosting the servers, (owners are), they don't have to develop a software, (devs like us are), they don't need to spot griefers or add changes to the software, (we are), they don't even need to add updates. All we need from them is to have a link on their homepage, and another page for the minecraft classic list. There is no way that they could loose money in this situation. Removing minecraft classic is in fact a lose-lose situation.

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2012 - 12:49 am 
Admin

You'd be surprised at how much has changed with the Classic protocol during the past year. Most changes are unnoticed, but you can pick them out.

A few months ago the method of connection was changed from a PHP function to a Javascript function. Although the transfer went well, a lot of admins couldn't connect to their own server behind the same NAT (another computer on the network running the server). The difference was 1 single character in the URL string, due to the change from PHP to JS, caused the URL variable separator to be changed from '&' to '?'.

The entire directory system for the classic servers was changed when 1.0 was released too. Instead of using "Minecraft.net/Server.php(Server.js later), It used the directory method of "Minecraft.net/play/classic/UUID". This also caused a bit of errors which needed to be worked on.

After all of this change, the server list page was also changed, which introduced a few bugs in itself. I do think that an issue still exists in a few browsers, where the keyword search box overlaps the Search button.

There are also issues with the heartbeat script, which some servers exploit to get to the top of the list.

I think the only thing I would benefit from, as a developer, if they decided to stop supporting Classic (Classic will still exist, don't mistake it as it will die completely, Mojang will just officially stop supporting it), the least they could do is release the code to the public, or at least the server owners for the Heartbeat.php script, and the code to play an embedded version of the game in the browser.

But yes, Minecraft Classic will not die. People will find ways to make it work, and it's very likely that another heartbeating website will take its place (Minecraftclassic.com?). Once all servers (ourselves included if necessary) have changed the heartbeat from minecraft.net to the replacement website, you'll be able to go there to play the servers. HawkServ may even be able to provide an embedded version of the client into its website, but if I decide to take it that far, I would either need the code Mojang uses, or help developing my own.

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2012 - 1:21 am 
Assistant

I agree with your last paragraph very much. However, it would be nice if Mojang did support classic. Even if they don't, I see them being annoying about releasing the code for the embed version of the game. If they released that code, I could put it up in facebook or my private website. Possibly an exchange where mojang securely sends the code to a possible minecraftclassic.com? Anyway, it seems that the argument went in our favor. (Cue fluttershy saying, "yay") Mollstam will keep the link up (for now). So, lets hope that he doesn't change his thoughts.