It is currently Thu 28 Mar, 2024 - 5:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I solved time.
PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 - 2:06 am 
Builder

**This may just be an insane theory. :)

So I was thinking today and made some curious connections between facts that we already know.

Fact 1: If you accelerate your body, or something you're in, to light-speed, based on physics, time around you speeds up while you percieve time to be the same.

Fact 2: We are moving through space at a very quick speed. The Earth revolves around the Sun, the Sun revolves around the Black Hole at the center of the Milky Way and the Milky Way is moving through space at some unknown speed (there's not really much to compare to) away from the origin.

Consider this; we have never seen an object stand perfectly still in 3-dimension space, and as you speed up time begins to speed up around you.

I think time may be related the speed at which any given object moves through 3-dimensional space and if an object were to stay completely still then it would not have time as a property.

I haven't heard a theory like this before, so please let me know if you've seen something similar.

Thoughts?

Offline Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: I solved time.
PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 - 6:31 am 
Admin

Although you may be technically correct there, it would be physically impossible to proove. The day still lasts 24 and a bit hours (or just under 24 hours), so time isn't really speeding up by itself. Travelling at the speed of light would physically rip your body apart due to the amount of Gforce applied to you.

Unfortunatly, time and light are two differen't entities. Traveling at the speed of light would just turn you invisible, and get you from one place to another in the blink of an eye. I don't think that it would allow you to move forwards or backwards in time since you're not exactly controlling it, you're just moving faster. Time moves at its normal speed regardless of the speed you travel.

That's my theory anyway...

/hottopics

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 - 1:10 pm 
Admin

Good theories guys. Here's mine.

Speed and Time are not connected to each other. Speed is as scientists have said; a transition of energy into motion. Time on the other hand is merely the human brain processing events and organizing them in a certain way. That is why when you do something you enjoy Time "speeds up", because your brain doesn't need to work slightly harder to "categorize" or "log" these pleasurable events because you have done them before (since you need to try something to know you like it). This theory if correct also explains why we do something impulsively or on instinct, it's second nature to us because for our brain, it has worked before whether through our genes or personal experiences.

Back to the matter of Time versus Speed, if you were able to hypothetically speed the human body up to the speed of light and you were able to withstand the G-forces this would cause, the mind would register no change in time because it subconsciously re-aligns itself on the Time before you went into light speed. Also Jet Lag is the brain consciously switching from the timezone you left to the time zone you are now in, therefore showing that your brain knows how to compensate for a small change in Speed and Time. In layman terms I'm saying that if you go faster your brain will fix itself so that you are still able to tell time based on the Time you left from.

If anyone sees flaws in this Theory (because all it is, is a theory) please point them out.

Note: I have capitalized Speed and Time in certain places because in this theory they are entities of their own.

Note2: The use of conscious and subconscious are references to what we know we are doing but are not mentally telling our body to do so (subconscious) and what takes our mental capabilities focusing to preform such as moving your fingers to type this theory (conscious).

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 - 3:37 pm 
Builder

The reason the day still lasts 24 hours, is because the speed at which we are moving doesn't change very much.

Think about it, we're moving at a very fast speed through the universe. This speed hasn't changed or hasn't changed by very much since the time humans have been able to perceive it. We just assume that all time moves at the same speed.

I've seen shows and experiments where they synchronize two digital clocks. They take one of them into space and orbit around the planet for a few days. When the two clocks were compared, the clock that was orbiting was ahead of the one that stayed on the planet. Not significantly, maybe a few milliseconds.

I know the human body couldn't survive going into light-speed. It was hypothetical. According to physics however, time would speed up around whatever is going light speed.

So, also according to physics and that statement. Somebody running would perceive time moving around them faster than somebody walking. Though not significantly.

I'm not saying you can go backwards in time, but the slower any given object is moving the slower it would perceive time around it. Therefore, if an object were to completely stop in 3-dimensional space it would be moving as slow as possible. It would either perceive time around it as stopped, or be going too slow to recognize that there is time.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 - 4:05 pm 
Admin

Time is a static Entity based on the Earths rotation on its own axis, and around the sun. This is what we base all Time off.

If you alter the speed of an individual, or an object, Time itself does not alter. If you spin the Earth faster on its axis, days will be shorter, but in turn the year will take more days since its revolution around the sun remains the same speed (but we base a year on days, and since days are shorter...). Likewise if the Earth span around the sun faster, but stayed at its own speed on its axis, years would take fewer days to complete. If you move faster, for whatever reason, does not mean that Time moves with you, it does not.

Just like flying from one country to another. The only reason you have to adjust your timekeeping device is because of the timezones. If there were no timezones, Time would not change regardless of where in the world you went. It would just seem strange to you that it's 12 noon, but it's the middle of the night.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 - 4:26 pm 
Builder

Time is a static entity. Our perception of it is not.

No matter what happens, the Earth will revolve around the sun every 365.5 days. The Earth speeding up won't affect time at all. If we began moving around the sun faster, it would only take less days.

I am not talking around time from the point of view of the Earth to the sun. That is simply how we MEASURE time. That is not time itself.

I'm saying that if an object we're to slow down, MUCH slower than our current speed (Earth rotation + revolution + movement through the galaxy... etc.) that object, should it be able to perceieve, would see that time would appear to slow down.

EXAMPLE: This is just to explain what I'm thinking.

Let's say you were watching the solar system. You see the Earth going around the sun every 365.5 days. Now, if you were to perceive time to be going slower. The Earth would appear, IN YOUR MIND, to be taking longer than 365.5 days to complete a full cycle. When in reality, it is still taking 365.5 days.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 - 8:25 pm 
Builder

Sometimes I get to work with no memory of travelling there, occasionally I finish work with no memory of getting there or any idea of what iv done therefore I must be doing everything at the speed of light :P

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 - 9:27 pm 
Admin

See my post county. It'll explain your "Time skips"

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 - 11:39 pm 
Agent

So lava you are pretty much talking about absolute zero. Also, i can sorta explain something off of what you're going at. So imagine an abstract art piece. Someone sees it as something in their mind while another person sees it as something else. Everyone is experiencing time however, the whole phrase of, "time flies by when having fun" because when your mind is concentrated on something it isn't concentrating on time. Also, time has to exist as if there was no time nothing would move. Choose any equation that requires time and you get 0 for everything. v=d/t; v=d/0 small problem right there d=v0. And theoretically when you get close to a blackhole the gravity might effect time relatively for the onlooker. If anything gravity would effect time other than motion as motion is dependent on time.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug, 2011 - 11:52 pm 
Builder

No Belgeran. Absolute zero is a measurement of temperature, not time or speed.

Also, the statement that when you get closer to a black hole time begins to slow is an unproven theory. We can never prove it.

The reason they claim this though, is because a black hole is so massive that it's sheer density and gravitational pull warps the fabric of space-time. Distorting time.

Perhaps more than one thing affects how time works.

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 - 12:07 am 
Agent

Absolute Zero can in fact be a measure of time. As matter gets colder the electrons slow down, the time it takes for the electrons to rotate in correlation with the temperature can in fact be time. We cant prove either way. We base time off of how we observe the movement of objects in space, if the temp is lowered universal wise it would in fact slow our idea of time. So you might actually argue that temperature is time :x. This of course assumes that there is plenty of matter around the orbit, it would work, its complex. :o

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 - 8:30 pm 
Agent

my gawwd my mind just went KABLOOEY

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2011 - 10:43 pm 
Admin

So basically here everyone from 12-Zions age... about 20 are playing theologist. Let's all make up theories and treat them as fact!

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2011 - 4:25 am 
Agent

Thats what I did, was a test :x. Like it? I was hoping someone would tell me it was wrong, but no one did. To be concise that theory is completely wrong. Uterly. Ok yah that about fixes that. Gosh I was hoping to start a good convo there :/

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2011 - 2:02 pm 
Admin

Your theory may be completely incorrect but it has a small amount of truth in it. "At the temperature of absolute zero particles slow down and stop moving". That small correct sentence Made the rest of us think that the rest of your theory was true. You ever think of becoming a politician?

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2011 - 2:13 pm 
Agent

Lol, actually thats what you do in debate. Take a truth and mix it with vague guesses. You win if the other team and the judge dont figure out you just said flying monkeys eat pie :3

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2011 - 1:44 pm 
Artisan

My time theory's include

We are drifting away from the sun so slowly that maybe in a thousand years, a day may go for 25 hours
-As we spin around the earth at tremendous speeds, the earth is not spinning in a perfect circle and is slowly moving away from the sun.

Quantum mechanics (Time travel) could only be used to replay certain times of life. For example:
-Going back in time to see who murdered someone.
-Someone would go into the time thingo and replay what happened
-Time travel doesn't interfere with real life, it only produces a virtual reality of past events where the victim produces the reality using the brain as the source. Scientists extract the memory and play it to the person.
-Scientists extract the source memory, not the one that maybe has been tampered with hypertension drugs or hypnosis.
-No victim = No time travel

If you had the power that is in the movie "wanted" except in drug form
-Time isn't slowing down. Everything for you seems like it is but what is actually happening:
-Everything is normal, when it seems like time is slowing down you don't actually feel it. It all feels normal. All that happens is just you can perceive more in the amount of time that you think that time is slowing down. As soon as you activate the power, you just start recognizing a lot more and your body adapts to the change in about 0.0001ms and feels like nothing happened.

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2012 - 5:10 am 
Assistant

Well, Albert Einstein proved that if flew tothe nearest star and back at light speed, you would come back in the future. The main reason behind this is that your body will not age, but everyone will have.

~Ask not what your server can do for you. Ask what you can do for your server~

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2012 - 5:22 am 
Artisan

I read this little thing somewhere. Apparently if you fly to 1 place to this other place, you technically left 4 hours before you arrived ahaha :P

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2012 - 3:46 am 
Admin

Kind of like talking to someone across the international date line. By what we know of time one person is in the world of tomorrow. The other is in the past. Time travel made real.