It is currently Thu 28 Mar, 2024 - 1:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tewwawia?
PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2011 - 12:36 am 
Builder

Terraria is another indie mining game that recently came out, and is gaining a following. Similar to minecraft in many ways, but building is less of a major aspect, the game is 2D, and has boss fights. So herein lies my question: Blatant minecraft ripoff, or good seperate game?

I think its is a boring minecraft ripoff and that it tries too hard to be the rpg it will never be.

Offline Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Tewwawia?
PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2011 - 3:24 am 
Agent

Minecraft is better for its building.
Terraria is better for the adventure.

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2011 - 8:48 am 
Admin

Terraria is a very good unique game that has no relevance towards Minecraft in any way, other than the fact that you can destroy and place blocks. Although being a 2D platformer, it's far better than Minecraft in replayability (I haven't even updated to 1.6 yet), it's also 'smoother' than Minecraft in the way that the blocks actually have detailing in them, rather than just squares.

Plus, the 2D plane lets you see all enemies that are approaching you before they're within range to attack you, and there's no real punishment for death (other than the loss of half your coins). Fallen blocks/items remain in the map until you close it, which makes it very good for going somewhere, destoying a lot of an item until your inventory fills up (which you have 40 spaces here, not including accessories, armour, and coins), running home to put them in chests and returning to collect the rest.

Of course Terraria will have its problems, especially since most Minecraft players will be critisising it againt Minecraft. Minecraft may have started the blockbuilding craze, but Terraria is far more complete than Minecraft is. Heck, Notch even admitted that he's started copying some of Terraria's ideas and the 1.7 update for Minecraft is supposed to have bosses, and more adventure. Ripping off Terraria much?

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2011 - 10:28 am 
Agent

Terraria is a game in itself but i just dont like it cas im patriotic to minecraft <3

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun, 2011 - 3:44 pm 
Agent

I've played both, and my opinion to Terraria is: Its very boring, but 'playable'

Minecraft: ADDICTING LIKE HELL!!!!

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2011 - 2:29 pm 
Agent

i cant say because i have neither. Im too cheap to actually buy any game :P

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul, 2011 - 3:59 pm 
Admin

Terreria seems to be more of an adventure game than a free roam game such as Minecraft. Minecraft is more focused towards those of us who enjoy making elaborate builds, and can pick out small details in giant castles. Terreria (It seems to me) is an attempt to bind Minecraft and Final Fantasy (which is a bad combo). Terreria would be a great game if there were more of a questing aspect instead of digging down, finding items and killing vanilla monsters. More to the point of this topic, Terreria is not a rip off of Minecraft. It is it's own game with a few relate-able elements. It's kind of like the Final Fantasy series and the Star Ocean series (Sorry if you have never heard of these games). They both are alike, but monumentally different where it counts.

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011 - 8:39 pm 
Architect

ive played a game simular to terraria but i have to say that i enjoy minecraft 10x as much

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug, 2011 - 10:51 pm 
Agent

terraria is good for those that want adventure while minecraft is for mainly building. Terraria isn't moddable which is annoying at times while minecraft has a mod for pretty much anything

PostPosted: Wed 03 Aug, 2011 - 6:21 am 
Admin

That's where you're wrong Belgeran, and you know that first by hand (with Techy). Terraria is definatly moddable, but because it's written in C# is a little more difficult than something written in Java.

Also, mod support is said to come in the 1.0.6 update.