It is currently Tue 23 Apr, 2024 - 7:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu 24 Nov, 2011 - 3:39 pm 
Admin

In the next update, 67.5.1.0, there will be a big change to the /send command.

Previously, you could send a message to anyone, regardless of if the player has joined the server or not. This filled up the database due to players making mistakes when trying to send messages to actual players. The image below is a prime example of a broken send command.

All names a prefixed with 'inbox' - sending a message to 'ZionFox' will create a table of 'inboxzionfox'.

As you can see, the highlighted names here do not exist. Most of them are spelling mistakes, yet they have messages sent to them.

I'm letting you know this because our main database for Hawknet Freebuild is over 300 tables long (which is around 2GB) and around 150 of these tables are inboxes, 70% of which are to players who do not exist. Between now and the release of HawkServ v67.5.1.0, there will be a cleanup of all users inboxes. All inboxes will be deleted after the update, and in future, the send command will search the player table to see if the player exists before sending a message.

Between now and the next update, you all must read your inboxes. For players that don't visit the forums, you must tell them to check their inboxes. You can check your inbox with the /inbox command, and if you have messages, you can read them by typing the message index, example:

I have 3 messages in my inbox, to read the first message, I type /inbox 0, to read the second message, I type /inbox 1, and so on. I've already read the third message, so I will delete it with /inbox del 2.

When the update happens, all inboxes will be deleted to make way for the new system, and all messages will be lost.

Offline Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2012 - 12:08 pm 
Builder

This is not how you database D:
Message me :P~

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2012 - 12:57 pm 
Admin

This is how I got the software, I've since fixed the issue. :3

The method used now, is it will scan through a table which holds all the players' information, and it will only store the message if the player has joined the server at least once.

The entire Database system needs working on for HawkServ. Everything is done poorly since MCLawl, which preceded it, so I am fixing it one step at a time.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]