It is currently Thu 28 Mar, 2024 - 7:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Providing options.
Poll ended at Mon 08 Dec, 2014 - 2:36 pm
Host all three servers at somewhat reduced power 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Host just 1.7.10 and winning vote on other topic 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Drop 1.7.10 and provide map to download, hosting 1.8 and FTB in place 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Other (suggestion as reply to this topic) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: RE: 1.7.10 server
PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec, 2014 - 2:36 pm 
Admin

As per the other voting topic on updating to 1.8 or FTB, our own Satan360100 mentioned that we could possibly drop the 1.7.10 server as it's mostly unused in favour for the 1.8 vanilla and FTB server. The map for 1.7.10 will be made available alongside the rest of the maps, but the server will not run any longer, and will likely be the last bukkit server we run.

This vote is to run on the results of the other vote, which at this moment is looking likely to support 1.8 vanilla.

If this vote doesn't pass, but there's enough interest in an FTB server, I could run my FTB singleplayer world in a server instance for others to join, but it would only be for as long as I'm playing that map unfortunately. It may not be up every single day, and certainly won't be up during UK night time.

Other than that, I could distribute less RAM to the 1.7.10 and 1.8 servers, and give the remainder (excluding overflow) to the FTB server. The RAM that 1.7.10 has now is 8GB. I could drop it to 4GB (which means it may crash/become unstable sooner) and give the 1.8 server 2GB due to its lack of plugins, and give FTB at least 6GB, which leaves the remaining 4GB for the webservices and the rest of the OS, including some overflow for leaky programs. That setup could mean we can run all three servers side by side (the processor can cope easily), but may mean that the 1.7.10 server can easily become unstable, especially since I've sometimes seen it running at 12GB of RAM usage sometimes when it's only supposed to use 8GB.

Vote, and thoughts?

Offline Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: RE: 1.7.10 server
PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec, 2014 - 10:41 pm 
Admin

Hosting all three at once seems a little iffy to me since 1.7.10 is already up and getting little use so I don't see a reason why we'd keep hosting it if we announce to everyone that we've updated to 1.8. As for FTB while I wont be able to join it, it sounds like a good idea as Redfox said in the other topic that we could draw in more regulars for the modded server. And of course if we update we could perhaps bring back a lot of our regulars who updated past our server/got bored of MC and allow us to play with our friends again.

TLDR: Drop 1.7.10 due to low usage, host FTB and 1.8 primarily.

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2014 - 5:39 am 
Admin

Voted to drop 1.7.10, and host 1.8 and FTB in its place. However, as I said in the other topic, I may not be able to run FTB for a month or so while I'm finishing up my new system.

Also, is it necessary to reset every map? I mean, the creative map pretty much just has the classic map recreation in it, and hardmode was only used for a couple weeks until most people lost interest. I suggest resetting everything else, though I'll be sad to see my gundam hangar in flatgrass go, I don't know why I bothered starting on such a massive project this close to the update.

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2014 - 11:31 am 
Admin

Well uh I was kinda doing hardmode for the entire time and now I'm bored of Aeris (My town). Also I killed the enderdragon with the help of Ak, Dg and Pk and I own the egg. I wouldn't mind resetting hardmode to give it a fresh slate and give everyone a chance to get the egg. But I do think we should keep creative if we can.