It is currently Thu 28 Mar, 2024 - 8:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2014 - 7:27 pm 
Admin

Well it's your lucky day Hawknet Fans! Today's the day (And the rest of the week) where you get to suggest games that you think we should host a server for! Now there are a couple things to keep in mind when suggesting your game.

Does it actually use servers?

Can other users run this game reliably? (This is a big one, no sense running something like Supreme Commander where people would get like 1 fps and have the game be unplayable)

The cost. (Another big one as our users aren't likely to run out and buy a new game to play with us, while it would be nice, it probably wont happen. Or if they are, then it'll have to be pretty cheap.)

Is it in Alpha? (Games like StarMade or StarEngineer would be fun to play however they're still in development and are likely to be buggy as hell making it useless for us to host for it)

Will people play the game? (For this one I'm talking about if it's a big name thing or a small indie game. It could be fun for you to play it but not so much for others if it's a niche thing. This also has to be taken into account. A little aside, a lot of people have gotten bored of Minecraft so we'll need some replay value for the game [Looking at you Terraria])

Now I've suggested TF2 since it's free however this game is fairly demanding in terms of processor power and I doubt that a lot of our users have like solid gaming computers, therefore it's not a good choice since we wont have a lot of our regulars/moderators there. We have in the past hosted for Minecraft, Terraria, Tekkit, FTB, Starbound, Garry's Mod (Prop Hunt), and CubeWorld in the past so those games are out of the running/We still run them.

So that's pretty much it. Do be sure to reply to this with whatever game you'd like us to host for and we'll look over the Pros and Cons of it.

Offline Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2014 - 7:36 pm 
Admin

A small disclaimer. These are suggestions. We're not obligated to host for any specific game suggested and we will certainly not host for all of them. Hosting for various games is done at Zion's discretion as it is his server/services. If a game is picked for Hawknet to host we'll announce it via for Forum's Shoutbox. It may end up that no new game is chosen for a Hawknet server. We are not responsible for any emotional loss, physical damage, mental anguish or loss of life you incur from suggesting games here.

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2014 - 8:17 pm 
Engineer

Hmmmmmmmm........ Insurgency?

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2014 - 10:24 pm 
Agent

GarrysMod.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep, 2014 - 11:14 am 
Admin

The good side of Garry'sMod is that it's reasonably cheap (£5), and has lots of game modes, however most of the good gamemodes require more expensive games to make them work properly. We could indeed host Gmod servers though, I've been doing it with PropHunt on and off.

I've been running a server of Discovery Freelancer, which is a mod pack of Freelancer (the 2003 space exploring game) for a few friends of mine. It's been quite fun. I can get people from the community into it, but only if they poke me through Skype.

Some other games like Terraria (except that gets boring at end game quickly), Starbound (but is still in unstable nightlies) and Cube World (hasn't updated in a long while, but is still in the works). These are all options, but again, requires purchases.

Keep coming up with ideas though guys, if Minecraft dies on us due to the recent loss of Bukkit, there'll be no real purpose to providing this community anymore.

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep, 2014 - 11:32 am 
Admin

I don't have any suggestions for other pc games, but we could always try ftb or tekkit again. I know it's weird for me to suggest, since I'm one of the ones who voted to drop ftb, but after playing around with tekkit, I've come to really enjoy mods, especially galacticraft.

We could bring back ftb the way it was before, or we could have another vote for which server/modpack to use. Anything is better than what we have now I guess.

Just throwing ideas out there, didn't want to make a new thread.

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan, 2015 - 8:00 pm 
Admin

Been a while eh? So Zion suggested in the shoutbox Space Engineers which according to Zion is like Minecraft in space where you can make ships and space stations. The downsides to this would be of course purchases and that it's a little extensive and will require more than some people's computers can handle (Mine for one).

That got me thinking though along the same lines for a game and that brought me to Star Made. It's also a space minecraft-like game but the graphics are lower key and it's more blocky/cubic so it requires a less powerful computer. The downsides to this game though is I'm almost certain it's still in Alpha and is unstable to run a server for it. So it's a suggestion but may not be a good one.

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan, 2015 - 11:19 pm 
Admin

Seems like everyone wants minecraft in space, so why not an ftb modpack with galacticraft? I've been hinting at this for a while. xD