It is currently Thu 28 Mar, 2024 - 4:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 15 May, 2013 - 8:29 am 
Architect

Alrighty then... I have taken the drivers permit test at my school twice in two years.... and each time... this question arises... and I quote, "How far do you turn the wheel to perform a 90* turn?" Well... its not 90*. The test is multiple choice with A,B,C,D,E,F. So in order to guess right, I may or may not have to take the 4 more times... Maybe one of you mathmaticians can figure it out... I just thought I may ask.

Offline Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed 15 May, 2013 - 3:38 pm 
Admin

If you supplied the answers given, I could probably tell you. Being a driver myself, it depends entirely on the car that you're driving. Modern cars have power steering (meaning you've got a system helping you move the steering rack in the car). Depending on how modern or feature rich the car is, this additional help depends on the speed you are travelling (turn the wheel less at low speeds, and more at high speeds, keeping control when travelling at speed).

For older cars, or models that don't feature power steering, you need to turn the wheel the exact same amount every time, but this doesn't relate to the actual turn you want to take.

Due to the 'shuffle' nature of steering a car (during practice, and the test at least), I usually shuffle the wheel three times to make a 90 degree turn around a corner, which usually equates to around 120-160 degrees of steering wheel rotation, but this was in a car with power steering.

I've driven cars with new variable power steering, old hydraulic power steering (none variable, but makes it easier), and no power steering (well, more like power steering failure on an old car, so I gained no help). In all cars is was roughly the same amount of rotation needed. From steering centre (wheels facing forward), you can usually turn the wheel 450 degrees before hitting the lock.

These are wild guestimates, since they're based off the cars I have driven myself, but here's what I think.
  • Variable Power Steering = 120-160 degrees rotation at 10-15 mph.
  • Fixed Power Steering = 190-220 degrees rotation at 10-15 mph.
  • No Power Steering = 220-260 degrees rotation at 10-15 mph and a lot more effort.
This depends ENTIRELY on the make and model of the car, and how fast you are travelling.

Hope this helps. I could narrow it down if you supplied the answers.

PostPosted: Thu 16 May, 2013 - 2:21 am 
Assistant

When I make a right or left turn, i often turn almost 180 degrees. On top of depending on the car, it also depends on the curve. If you have a lot of room, you may only turn 170, with little room, you may only turn 190. Chances are, 180 is one of the answers, so I would choose that one.

~Ask not what your server can do for you. Ask what you can do for your server~

PostPosted: Sat 25 May, 2013 - 5:01 am 
Architect

So I asked my driving teacher for a copy of the drivers test... bad idea... and then she went on a rant about how bad that would be and how it could effect my life forever for trying to ask her if I could cheat her test... :| Then I told her that I just needed the answers for the- she cut me of there and basically restated what she had previously said in a more extensive manner. But what I do know is that A. is 45* B. is 90*... and obviously niether of those are correct unless you have a very sensitive steering wheel... I guess next year I will try 180* or anything close to it...

PostPosted: Sun 26 May, 2013 - 12:12 pm 
Admin

Us Brits never get asked something like that, purely because the examiners want to understand what you know about road laws, not specific models of cars. We are even taught about Motorway (United States: Highway, Interstate, Expressway, etc) even though we're legally not allowed to drive on there without passing our full test. We do get material to help up learn these though, including a series of 500 questions (of which only 50 are chosen at random for the actual test) about the law and roads and road vehicles.

We also have available, Driving Test Success series of DVD's, which includes all 500 questions (updated yearly) and mock exams in an easy to use format. Since the whole system is computerised now, it's a welcome addition to anyone practising. It also includes the second part of the UK Driving Test called Hazard Perception, which is around 120, 60 second video clips from a drivers perspective, and we just click our mouse where we think hazards are, punished for clicking too much, or too often, and accuracy for how soon we notice the hazard (people crossing roads, other drivers pulling out in front of you, country road perception, etc).

Anyone who has taken this modern test with Hazard Perception all agrees, it's nothing like real world. When really driving, behind a wheel, everything is a hazard. From the car in front of you, to pedestrians on the other side of the road, even to the trees and wind (gust of wind blows loose leaves in front of your car, it's a hazard).

I would suggest investing in mock exam software, or a booklet which lists all road laws in your state/country. If that fails, check Google. I'm sure another citizen has compiled a list of known questions, and created a mock scenario. Asking the examiner for the answer isn't the best idea to do, yet you seem to have done it anyway.

In your defence however, it is a pretty stupid question.

PostPosted: Mon 27 May, 2013 - 6:12 pm 
Architect

XD I've seen worse on state tests...

PostPosted: Fri 31 May, 2013 - 1:45 am 
Assistant

One of my questions for getting my permit was
"When finding yourself in a crash, should you..."
A)Drive Away
B)Call Your mom
C)Call and file a crash report
D)Test your car to see if it still works

The sad thing is that 18% got this question wrong.

~Ask not what your server can do for you. Ask what you can do for your server~

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jun, 2013 - 3:26 pm 
Agent

I only missed 1 on my permit test... ours were extremely easy, e.g: What does this sign mean? When do you stop? Which positions should you check when changing lanes?