It is currently Tue 23 Apr, 2024 - 1:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2012 - 4:06 am 
Admin

You may have noticed recently that we had a small hiccup with the server, which caused all of our services to drop off the internet. After a good hour of trying to get it sorted at 2am, I believe I have found the cause.

Conroe has two user accounts. One runs all the server software, SMP servers, HawkServ Classic server, and various others. It's the main account that all our admins use. The other account were dedicated to running the web server software. Whenever we logged into this latter account, the entire system would lockup, causing everything to stop responding, and need a system restart. This means that LightTPD is nolonger our webserver, and we have reverted back to IIS for the time being, since it's already installed, and just needed re-enabling.

I will reply to this topic with details on when I will be commencing work on trying to fix this. Hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a hassle, and we can get things working smoothly, but our past experience has been that if something has the chance to go wrong, it will, and in the worst way possible. Right now though It's 3am, and I'd rather not start on it until after my sleepies.

At most, the websites will be offline during the maintenance. Fingers crossed that it will only take a few minutes of downtime, but there is no telling what may happen.

After the fix has been complete, all should be well again. Watch this space for updates. You can check our Hawknet Steam Group, or Hawknet Facebook page for details during the downtime.

Offline Profile Send private message