It is currently Fri 29 Mar, 2024 - 8:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2012 - 3:59 pm 
Artisan

Guide written by Christian9119, pictures taken by Christian9119
Written to introduce the Hawknet community to LoL, which is a free online game which can be downloaded at: http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/en/signup/redownload

What is League of Legends?
League of Legends is a free online game in which you battle other players in 3 vs 3 or 5 vs 5 team environments. The main objective of the game is to destroy the other teams Nexus, thus ending the game. You can also put the enemy into a position where they're inclined to surrender, thus also winning you the game.

The basics

Selecting your champion
The 'Champion Selection' screen enables you to select a champion who you can deploy on the battlefield. There a many champions to choose from, ranging from close combat champions, to ranged and long ranged heroes or mages with high damage spells. If you are unfamiliar with a certain champion, you can view the champions portfolio by clicking on the little icon within the champion's portrait. To select your champion, click your desired champion and lock in your choice by clicking the 'Lock In' option on the screen.

Getting Started
After ninety seconds (one and a half minutes), the game will start and you will be redirected to the loading screen in which the game will begin after all champions have loaded.

After loading, you and your teammates start out on the summoner platform. Next to the summoner platform is the shop. You can buy items from the shop that will help you on the battlefield. In the shop is a recommended build that is suggested for you to follow. I highly recommend for new players to follow the recommended builds and when you are familiar with the game, you can develop your own unique 'builds,' (an organized, series of items).

All champions start out you have 475 gold to spend and as the game progresses, you will generate more gold that you'll be able to use to buy more gear.

Champion spells
Every champion has five different spells/abilities that the champion can use in the game. The first ability is a passive ability that is always active and gives some sort of ability to the player. The next 3 spells are the champions 'standard abilities.' Your last spell/ability is what is typically your most powerful spell and often comes with a long cooldown.

When you start, you have the option of choosing an ability to learn or level up. Every time your champion gains a level, you have the option to level up another spell/ability. To level up a spell, you must click the '+' sign on top of the spell/ability you wish to learn or advance.

Laning and pushing
After you have purchased items and trained a spell, it's time for you to select a lane in which you will fight in. You can break formation any time, but it's highly recommended to stay in the lane you have chosen during the early stages of the game. There are 3 lanes to choose from; The top lane, the middle lane and the bottom lane and commonly known as Top, Mid and Bot. The most common and typical formations are 2 top, 1 middle and 2 bottom or 1-2 top, 1 middle and 1-2 bottom. The extra +1 player 'jungles,' (the act of gaining experience in the jungle by killing stationary NPC's instead of the minions in the lanes) and tries to get the 'gank,' (the act of overwhelming another player by outnumbering an enemy champion/s to increase the success rate of a successful kill/s.

As well as enemy minions and champions, there are turrets that you must contend with as well. Turrets will defend against the oncoming minions and champions. While pushing into enemy territory, you'll have to destroy these turrets to move forward. Your creeps won't be able to push forward until the closest turret is destroyed.
It's rather unheard of to attack a turret by yourself; without your minions. Turrets deal high damage to minions as well as champions. It's a good idea for your minions to take the full blast rather than your champion. Champions will also be targetted last by a tower, however attacking an enemy champion within range of the turret will put you as the turrets first priority to shoot at meaning if you attack an enemy champion near the enemies turret, it will shoot you and probably kill you early and mid game.

Bushes
Throughout the map, there are tall patches of grass known as brushes, but I just call them bushes. These bushes give the champion in the bush stealth, making you invisible to enemy minons and champions who aren't in the bush. Bushes are very convenient; allowing you to setup ganks or maybe even escaping from enemy champions. These bushes can also be 'warded,' (The act of placing a sight ward to provide you sight of everything within a short range) to give you sight of people hiding in the bush.

Inhibitors
In each base, there are small structures called inhibitors, located behind the perimeter turret (the final turret before the turrets that guard the Nexus). Inhibitors prevent the enemy teams Nexus from spawning super minions, which are basically normal minions upgraded. Destroying the enemies inhibitor is unbelievably helpful (most new players would disagree) because it allows you to push a lane so much faster than originally so you can speed push a lane to quickly get back into the enemies base.

The Nexus
The Nexus is the most important structure in the game, and the source of the enemy's minions. The Nexus is guarded by the two most powerful turrets so make sure you have a big army before you engage. If you destroy the enemy teams Nexus, YOU WIN!!!! And you will be declared victorious.

Tips and tricks

Accumulating gold
Last hitting

Different champions have different levels of difficulty for last hitting minions. Some characters are ridiculous to last hit with, and some are rather easy. Last hitting is when a minion falls near 0 health, and a champion quickly kills the minion to get the last hit, thus earning gold (You get gold for every minion kill, no matter how much initial damage you did to it, the last minion/champion who had the last hit on the minion gets the gold, although minions don't actually use gold. The same applies for enemy champions; although a person who helped gets less money for the assist, regardless of how much initial damage was cast). I would suggest for new players to pick a champion like Teemo or Ashe who are good last hits and very easy to play. You generally try to get over atleast 100 minion kills in the first 20 minutes. Last hitting is a very good thing to learn to do.
support).

Jungling
Jungling is when a champion kills stationary NPC's in the jungle in LoL. Some NPC's give lots of money and are generally easy to kill. A player usually enters the jungle when he is either jungling or is short of cash early game or just wants to make some money before 'recalling' (teleporting back to base) back to your base.

Kills and assists
Killing enemy champion gives lots of money. Better yet, if you kill a champion that is on a killing spree; Killing them give you bonus money! Killing enemy champions is crucial in advancing your character to make your character stronger, faster.
A little cheap trick I picked up is in massive team fights, perform an auto attack on all enemy champions first so you're guaranteed an assist on all the kills in the team fight, thus earning you money. Always help your team mates, this helps you get kills (and avoid a possible argument).

Map dominating
This is often overlooked by even some professional players. Good players dominate the map and do this by capturing all the 'creep buffs' (passive rewards for killing an NPC in the jungle, often health and man regeneration) like Golem, Lizard, Barron and Dragon for team gold and XP. Very good players use lots of sight wards to get the gank.

DESTROYING STRUCTURES WINS THE GAME, DESTROYING CHAMPIONS DOES NOT
I cannot stress this enough. Even the most 'fed' (A champion that has killed lots of champions so has heaps of money and top items whereas every other player is still stuck with mediocre items) player will lose against a team that knows what they're doing. So many players are overzealous and will probably go 'Oh let's chase Cho'Gath across the map and get a kill!!!!' instead of destroying an enemy turret and gaining gold for the team and gaining further ground. However, this doesn't alwys apply if you don't have many kills. This more applies for players who grab kills, just for the sake of kills and doing nothing for the team. Sure enough, get kills, but also put the teams success before kills.

Tip to winning team fights: Don't spam random spells. Keep an eye on your health and gank enemy champions. Most people spell spam and don't realize they're about to die. Team fights usually result in aces, and the team who wins the team fight usually victors because all enemy champions are dead and waiting to respawn; people use this as an opportunity to 'push' a lane as quickly as possible and destroy turrets and most commonly: the enemy Nexus.

When you're given the choice of whether to destroy a structure or an enemy champion, destroy the building. The only acceptable instances are if you're trying to score an 'Ace' (When the whole teams champions are killed) so you can kill multiple buildings at once, rather than just one before they respawn and when you don't have to go so far out of your way to kill an enemy; like if an enemy champion is on 2 health and 1 simple auto attack will kill them.

So next time you're contemplating chasing Cho'Gath across the map to get a kill, stop and destroy a turret or inhibitor. That will win you the game.

Hopefully this guide has you inclined to play League of Legends, and if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment

Offline Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun, 2012 - 9:26 am 
Artisan

Took forever to write, even longer to screenshot pics in-game and edit them on paint hahaha.
I do hope people want to try out LoL, and if you do, ask for my username and I'll happily teach you how to play live in game ^.^

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun, 2012 - 6:47 pm 
Agent

I would but i can not run this game :(

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2012 - 4:49 am 
Artisan

My laptop is pretty bad, 2gb ram, I3 processor and I'm not sure of the gpu as I'm typing from an IPhone, but I just turn down the graphics a load. The only thing your computer needs to be able to run is DirectX 10 (I think, you can always check on the system requirements section on the LoL website).

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2012 - 8:09 pm 
Agent

only vista+ can do Dx 10 i'm running XP

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul, 2012 - 2:07 am 
Artisan

Oh, we'll it mustn't be DX10 because my main PC was running XP and I played LoL. You're best off looking at the sysreqs on the website I'd say

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul, 2012 - 3:27 am 
Agent

yes definitely

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul, 2012 - 9:10 am 
Artisan

Well if you go get around to playing, ask me and I really don't mind playing a few co-op vs AI games ^.^

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul, 2012 - 11:09 pm 
Admin

This looks like a rip off of the orginal DotA for WC3...

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul, 2012 - 1:03 am 
Artisan

LoL is based of DotA. There's many games based off DotA actually ^^

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul, 2012 - 3:58 am 
Admin

I feel bad for the people that put work into DotA just to have it ripped off like that, people like me. I put 3 days into Beta testing one of the versions of DotA and now I feel bad.

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul, 2012 - 5:56 am 
Artisan

Well anybody that's actually good at LoL, HoN or DotA2 plays DotA ^^

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul, 2012 - 12:55 pm 
Agent

what region you play christian? i play at nordic east/west if i remember rigth. and nice tutorial. (even though i'm pretty good playing LoL.)

Spoiler: show
Picture is not made by me.

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul, 2012 - 2:38 pm 
Artisan

North America. The guide is just fairly basic. Didn't want to drag on about things that are most commonly picked up playing hahaha

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul, 2012 - 2:43 pm 
Agent

Hahaha. it whould been nice to play together but sadly you are in different region and too lazy to make char there. and ye. i got more information out of how play LoL than LoL own tutorial what i found out kinda wut?

Spoiler: show
Picture is not made by me.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jul, 2012 - 5:06 am 
Artisan

Yeah it would have been good, but you always make a smurf on west XD
But I just really learned to play by just playing loads of bot games with Ashe. I kind of introduced myself to it so I didn't really have anybody teaching me how to play or anything so it was quite annoying :\

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb, 2013 - 8:02 pm 
Super Operator

Since it's been bumped i might post here ^-^, I been playing alot and im now level 30. If any of you guys are in the EU West region want to have a game with me... just add me.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan, 2019 - 8:12 pm 
Architect

Funny story, I dislike this game but I participated in my friends tournament and we won regardless of the fact that I had no idea what I was doing. All that I did was out of spite and it turns out that’s all it takes to win