It is currently Fri 29 Mar, 2024 - 2:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Beta problems
PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan, 2012 - 6:16 am 
Admin

Here's the deal, when i first join hawknet smp or load an ssp world i get over 120fps for about 10 seconds after the map loads, but then my framerate drops to a constant 60fps (almost as if my framerate is being limited).

I cannot for the life of me figure out what's wrong, I've done everything i know to do. At first i thought it was a 1.1 specific problem, but I've tried 1.0 and i have the same problem with it. I've updated my nvidia drivers, updated java, and i even did a clean install of windows 7 (which needed to be done anyway).

I just don't understand it, i was getting over 100fps a couple weeks ago, peaking at 120 but rarely going below 80, and that was on max settings. Any suggestions?

Offline Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Beta problems
PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan, 2012 - 7:57 am 
Admin

Sounds like Vsync is limiting your framerate to the refresh rate of your monitor. Most games do that now to prevent visual tearing.

To confirm if it is Vsync, try increasing or decreasing your refresh rate of your monitor, which can be found in your driver configuration settings, or in an advanced menu of Display Properties (Right click the desktop > Screen Resolution > Advanced Settings link > Monitor > Screen Refresh Rate dropdown menu). Don't increase or decrease the refresh rate outside the bounds of the normal refresh rate too much, as it could damage your monitor.

If the framerate changes with your monitor refresh rate, then it's being vertically synchronised with your monitor. This could be an ingame setting, or a driver setting. Check ingame to see if there are any options for vertical sync or framerate settings. If that fails, check your driver configuration to see if it's forcing Vsync if the application tells it not to, you should be able to disable that setting completely.

Something must be set differently, since both me and Countyfan get over 1,000 FPS in classic, and over 300 FPS in SMP. X3

If these fail, reply back and I'll see what else can be done about it. ^^

Post subject: Re: Beta problems
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 - 7:49 am 
Admin

That was one of the first things i checked, vsync is turned off in nvidia global settings.

I might have found the problem though, i "upgraded" to the 290.53 beta drivers (released around december 20th 2011 i believe) around the same time i noticed my fps drop, I'm going to revert back to 285.62 later today and see what happens.

Wish me luck :P

edit: That was part of the problem, i can definitely continue working with fraps now, but now i have another problem that makes even less sense than my first problem. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1179&p=11351#p11351 If you have any ideas let me know.