It is currently Mon 29 Apr, 2024 - 2:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Beta Undo function?
PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2011 - 1:37 am 
Banned

Hey Zion, I've got a programming suggestion for you to implement in your copious spare time. XD

I know that due to spreading fire, lava, water, and explosions, having an "undo" feature in beta is difficult to implement. I also know that Zion (not an insult to you) simply doesn't want to deal with fire and explosions at all, due to accidental griefing possibilities.

Here's what I'm guessing (fact-checking is encouraged): The world backup saves always overwrite the same file. If I'm wrong, skip the next paragraph.

I think that rewriting this function would be beneficial. If the back-up saves were saved to different files every time, my idea (explained below) could be implemented. The backup files are substantial enough that they would probably have to be deleted every once in a while, maybe only keep them for [x] days.

I was bored, and dreamed up a command that would allow Zion (potentially any user) to restore localized areas in order to remove grief or unwanted lava-flooding or w/e.
Basically, the command input would be something like "/undo 3", where 3 is three backup files back, and would take two inputs for the edges of a cuboid (similar to classic). It would then take the backup file specified by the command, find the two x,y,z coordinates specified by the edge inputs, and would simply copy/paste that section of the backup into the current server map.

Let me know what you think, or if I just copied the idea for something that already exists, or anything else.
-Humus

Offline Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Beta Undo function?
PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2011 - 1:59 am 
Agent

that would be very difficult to code and especially to be able to save backups for specific portions of the map

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2011 - 2:16 am 
Agent

I'm fairly certain that there are already plenty of plugins that allow for /undo. It wouldn't take much to find one that would be compatible with all the rest of the plugins he has running.

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2011 - 2:22 am 
Banned

The backups wouldn't save portions of the map, they would simply save the whole map. The undo function would copy/paste an area of the backed up map into the server based on the area defined by the user.
I know that would be rather memory intensive, so it would take a LOT of harddrive space to implement, but its just a suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2011 - 3:51 am 
Agent

ah k i'll look into an undo plugin

-did a broad search for an undo plugin in the bukkit plugin list and it came out blank. only one that could remotely do undo is world edit which so far doesn't work with some of the plugins we have

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2011 - 6:30 am 
Admin

Hawknet Beta runs BigBrother, a quite popular logging system which logs user, and enviromental events and allow rollbacks.

This does exactly as you say, however BB's undo command is the same as classic's redo command. To undo actions via BB, we use the rollback command. This has its advangates since it can even rollback fires caused by natural lava springs, creeper explosions, lightning strikes, and player actions, up to 7 days in the past.

BigBrother mainly likes to use a MySQL database to store all its data, and i'd be fine it letting it do that, however it throws errors every 4-6 seconds and doesn't actually work, so it saves to flatfiles instead.

PostPosted: Tue 23 Aug, 2011 - 6:41 am 
Banned

Ahh, I knew I couldn't have been the first to think that up. lol

PostPosted: Sat 03 Sep, 2011 - 4:10 pm 
Agent

Moving Econ sugg to new topic.