It is currently Sun 28 Apr, 2024 - 11:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 - 3:50 am 
Agent

Zion, can you disable the anti-fly autokick on the SMP server? I currently use Zombe's modpack (with only the flymod enabled), and it's very useful for building on my SSP worlds.

Now, I don't know if this has any adverse side effects on the server like lag, so please inform me if it does. If such a thing were true, I would have no problem with the anti-fly remaining in place. However, if it doesn't, then disabling anti-fly would be a convenience to those of us with Zombe's modpack similar to the benefits of the WoM client for Classic.

Please let me know!

Offline Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 - 7:20 am 
Admin

I've noticed many people have modified their clients, and although most of them are okay, some of them are advantagious. Like tool repair when it runs out, or infinite resources. Some of these commands are available in the game, and for flying, I have installed the MagicCarpet plugin (similar to clasics' /fly).

The only issue with turning the anti-fly off is when you clip through missing chunks, or fall past the void. If you have god on when doing this, you gain a certain distance and it'll kick you for flying, otherwise it probably won't and you'll be stuck there.

I am considering installing a plugin which requires all users to be vanilla. No mods at all, although I can see something like that causing more harm than good.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 - 2:18 pm 
Agent

The only Mods Ive seen so far used on the server are Freerunners mod- Auto jumps up 1 block and slight speed increase when holding cntrl, and a 5 height wall climb. Zombes- what war said. Somelighting thing- Allows torches to emit light when holding. I havnt seen these as problems mainly because it doesnt do anything. Now if ppl used x-ray or noclip I would prolly think differently, but so far no ones done that.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 - 4:02 pm 
Agent

it's 5 if your lucky if there's a block change in the climb it grabs and you can do a tic tac to get up. I recommended people use freerunner's and not the Le Parkour mod because the Le Parkour mod makes you able to climb infinite blocks up which ruins the point of minecraft.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 - 8:29 pm 
Agent

Well the MagicCarpet, although effective, is still subject to lag and building difficulties just as the Classic version is. You have to break the glass to move downwards, which can sometimes be tedious, and the glass can get in the way sometimes of the places that you want to build.

Also, with the chunk loading errors, those kind of things happen with or without the flying client. It's simple enough for the user to log out and then log back in (or at least it will be once the permanent spawn issue is fixed).

Now, I can see the issue with client modding such as Too Many Items or other things like that, but banning all modded clients would cause many more problems than it would solutions. If what I suspect is correct, that it will ban even SSP mods that have no effect in SMP yet still modify the client, then this will cause many people to choose between their SSP worlds with harmless mods like Mo' Creatures and stuff and other SMP servers that allow it, or Hawknet SMP. You'll find lot of people leaving just for the convenience of not having to reinstall all their mods whenever they want to go onto their SSP world.

Since banning modded clients doesn't seem to be a solution (at least from what I can tell), then anti-fly might as well be disabled. The harmful mods won't be affected by anti-fly, and eliminates the helpful convenience of flying from those of us that play with innocent mods.

EDIT: Just remembered this. Don't mods like Too Many Items give a notification that admins of SMP servers can read on the log? If this is true then it doesn't take more than a quick ctrl-f through the log to find offenders then warn/ban them at a later time.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 - 9:55 pm 
Admin

To my knowledge, mods do not notify others of their use.

And yes, I agree that disabling all modded clients from connecting would do more harm than good. There are plugins out there which disable the use of mods, but i'll have to research into them first.

For the issue with chunk issues, I assume this is related to /warp? If so, I've set the value to forceload the chunk you go to when you warp, so you should no longer drop through a hole. Secondly, if you can find a /spawn plugin that doesn't force you to the spawn point, then that'll be great :D

Also, a protip with MagicCarpet, the 'crouch to go down' value is set to true, so if you want to drop, just hold SHIFT. :D

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 - 2:58 am 
Agent

Haha did not know that about the MC trick. Thank ye :) I only know by hearsay that modded clients are detectable, at least in item spawning, by the server log. I'm not surprised that I was wrong on that.

Anyways, I'm quite certain that there is a plugin that will allow certain mods to be disabled, while others allowed. I know there are enough creative servers out there like Hawknet for a mod like that to be in demand. Common sense says that there is at least one out there. I'll ask around a research a bit to see if I can find any.

EDIT:

Update on the plugin search. The guys I have been talking to say that mods like TooManyItems only work if that player has the permissions for item spawning. Also, he says that properties like item degradation are stored in the server and can't be affected through client side mods? If that's the case, then mods besides flying would be unable to work anyways.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 - 6:18 am 
Admin

Yeah, item degredation is serverside, however you don't really see it when you have stacks of tools.

To my knowledge, most of the users who do use TooManyItems or TooManyTools or whatever it's called are operators anyway, and have permission to /give and /item. There are a few members who have mods which restore broken tools, which are the kind of mods i'd like to get rid of.

I'll take a look at the plugins list and see if there are any for specific mod denial. (plugins.bukkit.org)

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 - 5:13 pm 
Agent

The server is still able to detect interference with item degradation though. I don't think you actually need a plugin to ban that kind of mod. They simply don't work in the first place.