It is currently Sun 28 Apr, 2024 - 9:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri 13 May, 2011 - 2:40 pm 
Agent

This will be a holding place for some of my ideas. I've gotten really interested in SMP all of the sudden, so I'm planning on drafting a a governmental structure that will function best in an survival environment. It doesn't necessarily have to be implemented into Hawknet (although that would be phenomenal) but I'm doing this just for fun :) Stop by every now and then to see the updates as I work through this theory over time. And yes, Zion I'm gonna want lots of input from you! Many things in SMP rely on server mods, so obviously some ideas won't work with or without some programs to help us :) cheers!

Update One. May 13.
Alright then! First off, I'm just gonna throw some thoughts down here. This is going to be like a rambling journal to collect all my ideas so bear with me for now.

The thing that you would have to establish first off is what kind of server you would actually want to be. Different kinds of servers include (but are not limited to):

*Creative style server in which mods allow infinite block placement, hacked blocks, no need for material gathering
    *PvP Warring style server, usually with a factions mod. Very little actual building occurs
    *Cooperative survival, established "government" structure. Sometimes works together to create mega-structures. Lots of mods most likely
    *Cooperative survival vanilla. No government (no mods). Very basic. Like single player but with a chat box

Now, in my mind, the third choice would be the best. I like the focus on building, but a beta/creative server is too similar to minecraft classic (in other words, it's unnecessary). On the other hand, a basic vanilla survival is too similar to normal SSP for me. That, and the lack of mods to protect from griefers, makes that an unfavorable choice for me. So I settled on the third option.

I've had relatively good (and brief) experiences with established SMP servers that follow the 3rd choice fairly well. A lot of them are very elaborate and sophisticated and as such would require money. That is all completely up to Zion, but luckily I don't feel that a lot of the extras would be necessary to establish a good, solid server.

Now that we have a general theme to head toward, we need to establish a way to keep order, promote the growth of new builders, and provide a fair and balanced opportunity for people to just have fun :) A lot of that will begin with the basic hierarchical structure of the administrative team. Essentially mods, admins, any anti-griefing measures. Basically the jobs and such of agent+ as they would be in our current freebuild server

But that will have to wait till later :) I've written a lot. I'll start on that stuff later. Tell me what you think so far!

Offline Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri 13 May, 2011 - 6:10 pm 
Agent

Bumped for update. Is there a digit limit on these posts? If so, I'll use this as a reserved spot for later.

PostPosted: Sat 14 May, 2011 - 10:52 pm 
Admin

I'm not sure, i'll have to look through the ACP, but if there is, certain ranks can override it i think. I've altered the post character limit to 0, meaning that there is no limit.

I've also removed my previous post to give you a reserved slot for if any such character limit exists.