It is currently Fri 29 Mar, 2024 - 7:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Return of old maps
PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug, 2014 - 8:45 pm 
Super Operator

With the recent talk of have a second survival map I thought why not have the return of an old map.
This would give the older members chance to go back and see their old builds and newer members the chance to see what everyone used to get up to. It would also be a good place to go if someone wants to start from scratch. Say someone who wasn't on the old map wanted to restart from scratch they could go to the old map and restart their.

If an older map dose return the shop could be used to sell items which weren't available back in the old updates.

Offline Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Return of old maps
PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug, 2014 - 9:14 pm 
Admin

I think the point of a new survival map was to start from scratch and have it straight survival. Meaning no /fly, no /creative, no W/E, and no Shop whatsoever.

Also all of the older maps are posted on the forums for download here http://forums.hawknetcomputing.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2490

Post subject: Re: Return of old maps
PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug, 2014 - 11:07 pm 
Admin

There is a bit of a security risk with bringing back old maps too. I remember some maps having devices which caused server lag, and because the map would need converting to the new worldgen, it would add a lot more strain onto the server as chunks are converted on the fly. Additionally, the server backups every day would skyrocket, because the old maps are quite large.

Saying this though, I'd love to be able to find the old 1.7.3 Beta map, with Hawknet Valley. I loved that map, would be awesome to revisit it.