It is currently Sun 28 Apr, 2024 - 9:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2012 - 11:34 am 
Artisan

This was something I thought of and I want your advice on it. I might be recreating it on ssp or a private server that I don't know how to setup yet. My reason for not creating it on the smp server is because I want the spawn to be a house containing supplies and stuff, and for the world to be empty and maybe released if I want it to be because it's really successful. If I do set up a private server, I want to know if I can ask people to help as it won't be a legit public server that I mod on. Just a server to build and implement this challenge on with the help of this community if I do choose to build it. I have no intention of setting up my own server as it's too much trouble for me. If it is set up, I won't allow people I do not know onto the server and the majority of people who may potentially join are people from Hawknet. If I can't then I'll probably just ask friends to help with it then save the map and release it too people who want to try it out and the server would be shut down. And I would not advertise this server in any way as I have no intention of having randoms turn up in the map as they could grief it or something. It wouldn't have any ranking system anyway, just the ability to use any hacks or mods to build this challenge

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minecraft 7 day challenge

Aim:

Your aim is too complete the challenge listed below in 7 days

Instructions:

Purpose of the journey:

The purpose of the journey is too venture from 1 point to the other. You will stop off at checkpoints that signs direct you to.

Directions:

You will spawn inside a house that holds a sign that directs you to your first checkpoint. Your first checkpoint will hold the sign that directs you to your next checkpoint and so forth. The sign will say the coordinates of your next checkpoint and it shouldn't be that far away.

Checkpoints:

Upon arrival of your checkpoints, a house will be there. These houses contain a bed, supplies, a sign directing you to your next checkpoint and a briefing written on a sign that will inform you of what you must accomplish to advance to your next checkpoint.

Tasks:

These missions that you are briefed on via the sign upon entry into the checkpoint must be completed before you set off to your next checkpoint. These tasks are written like "Deposit 10 tree into this chest" or "Retrieve 5 bones from killing multiple skeletons." There isn't a limit on the amount of tasks that must be completed before you embark off to your next checkpoint. It's considered unfortunate if a mob doesn't drop your task item you need to complete the task.

Traps:

There will be traps set up along the way so you should keep an eye out.

Death:

If you die, you can go back to your last checkpoint but no further than that.

Items:

The house you spawn in will contain a chest that holds 5 torches, a stone sword, 5 tree and 5 cooked pork. There will be 3 chests that contain these items, but you can only take from 1 chest. The other chests are for if you die and you lose your items. Each checkpoint instead will only hold 1 chest however.

Block modification:

You cannot destroy the checkpoints for more resources or take the resources that were used to build the checkpoints for your own benefit or other players.

Building:

You cannot build a house if you don't make it to the checkpoint before dark. That's just unfortunate if you don't make it.

Lost:

If you get lost or are unable to find your next checkpoint, you're out of luck. Try the best you can using f3 and following the coordinates that are given to you to the best of your ability. Before attempting that challenge though, They're will be a practice navigation course that is very small but should try to teach you basic navigation so you can hold yourself during the challenge.

Crafting:

There will be no need for Crafting if you don't die as each checkpoint will hold everything you need to advance to the next checkpoint. If you die however, that's a different story. You can craft if you die because that's just unfortunate, but you can always retrieve your gear if you need to.

Advice:

Try do this with a partner, just to makes things more entertaining and easy. Having more people in your party while doing the challenge will multiply the amount of challenges set in checkpoints by the amount of players. For example, if your task is too deposit 5 wood, it would be 25 wood if you have 5 players, or 10 if you have two players and so forth.Try to be observational otherwise the traps will get you and you will die

Rules:

Follow the above, breaking what is listed is against the rules. Nothing can stop you doing it if you are soloing, or if you and your mates plan to cheat but try to play the game as it was intended, or it's not really a challenge ey.
There are also no use of commands or any mods that give you even the slightest advantage over another player to complete the challenge.

Side tasks:

Some checkpoints will give vague directions to a spot that contains some goodies. Beware, for it may be a trap. And don't be so easily fooled as some may be plain obvious, like stepping on the switch to be showered in diamond where a plain spot of redstone and some TNT is easily visible...
Along the path, you may also find signs that point to places that can offer you goodies if can be bothered to accomplish what the place the sign directs you to asks. These side tasks however are quite different. They ask you to accomplish tasks that are required to retrieve the goodies, or too pay a small fee to allow you to retrieve the goods they have for you. You must as well complete these tasks to retrieve the goods and are completely optional. They are also quite easier than the main tasks that checkpoints hold

Conclusion:

Try to complete the challenge as it was intended to be completed and don't cheat. Just defeats the purpose of a challenge. Feel free to give me advice on how I could improve this challenge of mine and I'll be sure to implement any advice you wish to give ^^

Edit: I might in fact build it on SMP so ops can moderate the players progress and status. That idea is probably more probable than opening a private server that people can help on as I think it's too much trouble to open and stuff.

Last edited by yellowyellow on Sun 15 Jan, 2012 - 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2012 - 1:44 pm 
Agent

thats... basically what i did

Leader of the Might City of Varlos

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2012 - 1:45 pm 
Artisan

Yeah, you're idea gave me this idea. Except with a few minor tweaks, planned checkpoints and a designated route.

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2012 - 6:45 pm 
Agent

Killing a mob doesn't always yield a drop so the killing 5 skeletons to get 5 bones won't work that's the only thing that might need fixing looks good :D

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2012 - 4:20 am 
Artisan

People who have played WoW would get it though, because it's the same problem in WoW as well. You've just got to count yourself lucky if you get a bone or not. In WoW, mobs don't always drop the quest items. 1 quest, I had to kill about 2 and 1/2 times the amount of mobs I was meant to kill just to get the quest items. But the chance also adds to the frustration aspect of the game, which can be fun in the end if you're playing with other people. Or just a massive killjoy >:D