It is currently Mon 29 Apr, 2024 - 12:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 - 6:06 pm 
Builder

I've been doing a bit of server surfing lately, and the ones I find most interesting are the ones with factions. Factions is a plugin for Bukkit that lets you create a faction and you can invite people to join and ally/enemy other factions. The reason I found those interesting is because you could claim land, and people could steal and grief other factions, but if that faction had claimed the land around their base it can't be griefed or stolen from. I think this would give SMP an interesting twist from what we're used to.

Full Factions Description:
http://massivecraft.com/plugins/faction ... umentation

Video Description:

Feel free to post your thoughts on this. ^^

Offline Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 - 6:30 pm 
Agent

steal maybe. if the person is fine with it. grief no. Not everyone would want to join as some people like to build or hunt or mine. Multiworld to the rescue :D

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 - 6:51 pm 
Admin

Yes! I want Beta now!

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 - 8:32 pm 
Agent

Make something where by joining a faction they agree that nothing is theirs, but the groups same with land. Those who get mad it becomes their problem. I approve. Really approve. I think possibly an admin per faction to lead, That makes it so no one else has to worry about activity/leading stuff.

Possible Factions:

Assassins-Geran most likely
Rurals
Burghers
Smiths-I wanna lead!
Enchanters/Magicians
Engineers

Hmm, We could trade...but attacks back and forth woul of course happen.

Ally enemy possibilities:
Engineers-Rurals
Smiths-Assassins
Burghers-Enchanters/Magicians

Enemys would logically be all against the others as there are reasons they may dislike each other. Its a balanced setup. All need the others materials while they dont like them making raiding logical. This means no LWC chests/Furnaces/doors in the designated areas.Each group has its own rank system.

Critiques? Tell me. :)

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 - 9:37 pm 
Builder

I'm glad everyone likes it, and @belgeran if your faction claims land no one can touch it :D

Also, there should be a rule for no betraying your faction, because I just hate that xD

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2011 - 11:37 am 
Architect

Now the question is: Do we have enough people for this?

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2011 - 3:17 pm 
Admin

Techy, I like your ideas however I've got a couple questions. Who would name their faction after a patty in between two pieces of bread (Burghers)? Why would these factions hate eachother? And can we change one of them to the Imperial Army? I have a bit of a story for the Imperials.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2011 - 5:34 pm 
Artisan

I call shotgun for a spot on the Wizards.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2011 - 5:36 pm 
Builder

Here's how I think it should go. :p Okay, since we don't have that many players I think we should keep it at 6 factions maximum, and the leaders must be an op+, and you can ally/neutral/enemy a factions, but keep it to 2 allies per faction to keep things going. Then that faction can enemy as many factions as they'd like. Raiding other faction's bases could be allowed, and stealing, but not griefing unless you were griefed first. The leader of the faction can decide who they want, keeping it at 3 other people maximum, or there could be a forum for factions where you can apply to the faction you'd like to be in, with a format that the leader of that faction has made. If some factions seem overpowered, we could switch it around a bit. Any sort of mods are not allowed, and no godmode or /give for ops+, that way everything is earned fairly. I already have a set of rules in mind for this too :P

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2011 - 5:49 pm 
Artisan

Let's only have 1 ally so it prevents major ganking.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2011 - 9:09 pm 
Agent

Thats what the plan is :D Chris

Point two: The reason I say Admin as faction leader is because there are 6 Admins. An admin could then delegate certain jobs to ops and the ops delegate to the members. 1 ally per team as thats the only logical way to keeping it balanced. Notice above faction statement I made. Its basically Rich and Magic vs Killer and Weapon maker/Item Enchanter vs Town and Castle Builder. The names arent too important, they all need what enemys have so it makes raids necessary, The allys are most beneficial to each other.

Rich start off with plenty of money(use barter system instead of sign system) to trade with other factions to fund the magicians skills. I.E. enough funding and certain magical substances (put into a chest so the admin could keep track of it, that means we only need to make a recipe for it) could allow for an admin to shoot some fireballs, spawn some potions for the rich to sell, or have magicians make them to help raid.

Smiths have smithcraft which allows for enchanting weapons like high level damage or large kickback.(Req materials for weapon from town people) These can be given to assassins(killers) to sneak in and kill for hire from the rich or indev people who have money(taking their inv to the paying person. Shift makes your name harder to see ;D).

Rurals get materials smiths need and rich people want. They have the nether portal in the main area for magicians needing materials. Engineers add onto castles, keeps, walls, and housing(better than basics).

Allys help allies (Assassins dont kill Smiths, Rurals get first in line with new castle add ons, as engineers get first in line for materials. Rich give 10% discounts to magicians and magicians give potions to rich to sell for higher prices as they are rarer to get.

They still do business with other factions, but raids on the others may happen. No forming allys with non chosen factions, attacking an ally would also have large kickbacks. Such as being faction less for a period of time.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2011 - 11:34 pm 
Builder

I don't see a point in each faction having a certain power, I think all factions should just start from scratch and build up from there, getting their enchantment tables and diamond tools/armor. If you were to make a trade with an enemy they could just decide to kill you and take all of the stuff you were going to trade for free.

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2011 - 8:47 am 
Artisan

Well that would be unfortunate. If you're going to trade with an enemy, then prepare for the worse. They could be setting it up so they can raid you and all your stuff.

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2011 - 12:00 pm 
Admin

Sounds a bit like Occupy Minecraft there techy...

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2011 - 12:39 pm 
Artisan

Personally, I love this idea. It forces you to think tactfully and devise strategies that will have your faction come up to the top.
And can we change magicians to the wizards?

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2011 - 2:48 pm 
Agent

The goal is to keep it functioning, if you think about it long enough it makes sence

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2011 - 7:24 pm 
Admin

Got bored so I made a story.

In a world called Hawknet in the great Minecraft universe there was a great civilization rules by [insert rich faction name here]. After many years of terror and death the citizens of Hawknet rose up against it's oppressors. Under the weight of the wrong they had caused [Rich faction] splintered and disappeared fully. The victors then turned on eachother for the varried land of Hawknet making helpful alliances and bitter enemies. Unbenounced to the squabballing masses the [Rich faction] wasn't destroyed. They bided their time, festering in the underworld they created, waiting for the time to strike. When the opportunity presented itself the [Rich faction] attacked. The rest of Hawk-manity were more prepared for the assault this time and the [Rich faction] only gained a small part of the land they once ruled. Their hatred growing stronger the [Rich faction] made their own alliance, knowing that only one army could rule. With the world nearing the edge of insanity the Great Magi-[Rich faction] alliance created a portal to a world of flame. There they believe they will be safe when the world comes crashing down around them. The Assassin-smith alliance futily believing in the power of the [currency] they could never attain, continue to ascertain the [Rich factions] coffers. The slave groups, the Rurals and the Engineers have resigned to their fate. The Rurals turning to a higher power they believe lies in the Earth beneith be bedrock. The Engineers wishing to leave their mark on the world by creating grand works of architecture for any survivors to enjoy.

The world is crumbling in chaos, will you change the fate of Hawknet? Will you join the quest for money, salvation, legacy or land? Or will you just staring into the depths of the diamond blades as they clash on these forsaken lands?

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2011 - 8:43 pm 
Agent

btw Smiths get access to "the end" so they can get the experience needed.

PostPosted: Mon 12 Dec, 2011 - 8:45 pm 
Builder

I don't think we should assign names and enemies, because it defeats the purpose of factions. The point is to start out with one ally, and then another faction raids you so you enemy them. I think this suggestions is taking a wrong turn.

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2011 - 12:36 am 
Agent

You could go with a better name that the "Assassins". Why not The Dark Brotherhood?

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2011 - 1:38 am 
Agent

Im only laying out strictures that would keep it balanced. as for names thats for conversational purposes. Sniper we Need to establish enemies or nothing will Ever happen, I was given a great idea today by a friend where we save a backup of the map, then have a "war day"(raids still happen plenty) but this would mean if you can get on you can go to war against your enemies, preparing throughout the week etc. It Could work but would need time.

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2011 - 6:04 am 
Artisan

What happens if a whole team isn't on and 1 player from the other faction comes and take this opportunity to raid their base?

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2011 - 10:05 am 
Admin

This is a perfect opportunity... I can see it now, team AK (Anti-Kira) and team PK (Pro-Kira), on the outside they'll look like friends, but on the inside they'll be constantly investigating each other.

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2011 - 1:00 pm 
Admin

Good idea, team PK will have the death note first, but no one will know who's carrying it ;)

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2011 - 2:33 pm 
Agent

Each team would need a code of honor type thing, to break it means going factionless for an amount of time.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 12:26 am 
Artisan

I'd solo. I'd be the magician that people ask for my help.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 1:49 am 
Builder

Based on what people are wanting, here's how I think it should go. I say we take Techy's idea and have assigned enemies, but we can decide the names when we want to. I think to join a faction, you should apply and the admin/op of the faction can look at your application that you made from their own format, and if it's accepted you get in. Since we don't have that many beta players, I think we should keep it 1 ally per faction, and only 2-3 players in the faction, also following what Techy said.

I have a set of rules made, too. (Not including regular rules.)
1.) Our usual rules such as no griefing or swearing
2.) No betraying the faction you are in, or you will serve jail time
3.) Raiding and stealing is ALLOWED, no spawn killing
4.) No leaving a fight using /tpa, /spawn, etc.
5.) You may only team up with your ally or your faction to raid people.

Tell me what you think, this is the most common rule set I see, besides No griefing, which is usually allowed so you can get into chests.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 2:04 am 
Artisan

Raiding your own base and going rogue should be OK.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 2:05 am 
Artisan

If you add too many rules, then it takes away the survival aspect of the game.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 2:13 am 
Builder

What do you mean?

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 2:18 am 
Artisan

Adding too many rules saying what you cant do takes away the realism from the game. Although it is still a game, realism would be very good.
Robbing your own faction and going rogue with other players from their teams and forming your own small faction should be allowed. Your team leader should be responsible for everybody's well-being so the idea of doing that doesn't cross their mind.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 2:46 am 
Builder

No, because that would ruin the whole purpose of factions, since any one could betray when no one in their faction is online and hide everything, and people would hate that. Betraying isn't really meant to happen, at least from the good amount of Faction servers I've been on, it's always been against the rules to betray. Going rogue with other players would make having factions a pointless plugin to have since you wouldn't be in a faction if you're "rogue" besides your friendly one, the one you plan to rob, so it might as well be normal gameplay.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 3:01 am 
Artisan

Betraying isn't meant to happen, but if your team are taking advantage of you then I'd rob them and leave. I wanted to go rogue so I can solo because I'm 10x better at soloing than going team. Forming a little faction could be beneficial, that way you can form your own faction from scratch with a tighter team.
If you're rogue, and you find another rogue, then you can form your own 2 person faction that has a stronger bond and you can conceal and plan more successful raids.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 3:41 am 
Builder

Stated above, factions will only be lead by admins or ops, so that plan wouldn't really owrk

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 4:25 am 
Agent

Rather than have admins be the leaders why not make it so you need 5 members or so to create a faction?

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 5:05 am 
Artisan

It should be 1 admin to a group, however 1 person to lead.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 12:37 pm 
Builder

Waffle1242 wrote:
Rather than have admins be the leaders why not make it so you need 5 members or so to create a faction?

Because of the shortage of beta players we have

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 3:58 pm 
Agent

The reason rogues are a problem is:

1.) It unbalances the factions as now there is someone not living by the factions code of honor.

2.) It defeats the purpose of each group having something every other group needs.

3.) There is no rogue keep in which others can attack making rogues have an advantage.

4.) As stated admins should lead the faction, but there can be a system inside it where there is ranking ie for Smiths you have Apprentice, Journeyman, Smith, Master Smith, (Admin). # of members really dont matter, everyone could work their way up by doing things like raiding...trading...completing good works.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 4:48 pm 
Artisan

Is each team assigned a skin?

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 7:55 pm 
Agent

now that would be a bit too far, there is a title before the persons name telling their faction.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 8:47 pm 
Builder

Also, you can set titles for people in your faction so when you type /f who (faction), ie it would say **Leader Techy10 if his title was set to leader.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec, 2011 - 11:17 pm 
Agent

I'd have to say I'm against having specified jobs. Everyone should be able to go about and do what they like to better their faction.

Say if there was just one smith then everyone would be depended on the smith to make their equipment. Now say that this smith isn't online. Now those dependent on the smith have to wait for whoever "smith" is and that could be a long wait.

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2011 - 12:08 am 
Builder

I agree, I think assigned names and enemies are good, but I don't think certain people should have jobs in game. For one, if you needed something like a sword you could just make your own out of the factions storage with whatever items they have in there

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2011 - 12:25 am 
Agent

I think what I was trying to convey was missed there, I was aiming for Smiths make enchanted weapons more, etc...but it was just an idea, As long as the other groups have something someone else wanted then it will work out fine :D

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 - 12:28 pm 
Agent

Techy wrote:
btw Smiths get access to "the end" so they can get the experience needed.

you wont kill too many endermen will you? XD

Leader of the Might City of Varlos

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 - 1:22 pm 
Artisan

Don't worry Ender, ProKira will own don't you worry ^^

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 - 4:53 pm 
Builder

You can't beat Techy and mines level 300 swords or something like that :3

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 - 9:39 pm