It is currently Thu 28 Mar, 2024 - 11:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar, 2016 - 7:54 pm 
Engineer

I enjoy coming onto the Hawknet server, but I feel that there isn't as many players as there could be. Increasing the amount of players on the server and strengthening the community to maintain those players, I feel will make the server even more enjoyable.

One way that would bring more people to the server is by making a voting system for the 1.9 map, raising awareness of our server. From this the more votes the server gets by the members the more people will join as people look for popular servers.

One way that the Hawknet community can be strengthened is the building of public farms and also shops where players can sell their items. Having group projects is another way we can strengthen the community and attract more players, as some players like to participate in building group projects rather than building on their own.

Adding more information at spawn about the server will give the new members some information about what the server is about and what we offer rather than giving them little information and them just quitting as they don't know what to do.

If any other members of the forums have any more ways we can gain more players and strengthen the community please add to this conversation.

Offline Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar, 2016 - 8:07 pm 
Super Operator

I agree with you regarding the need to get more players online, it's been something we've been trying to do for a while now. The current voting system we have is still working it's just that people aren't voting (myself included...). I suppose we could get more people voting by advertising the ability to vote on the server, and by fixing the voting rewards which currently isn't working (well wasn't when I last checked). Adding more information at spawn should be pretty straight forwards, perhaps informing people of basic commands.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar, 2016 - 9:05 pm 
Admin

The plugins for voting rewards were not (and likely will not be) updated for 1.9. If you can find suitable replacements, please let me know.

The issue with adding information to spawn is we can do two methods. Either signs, with more things that people are bound to miss, or "message blocks", similar to how we used to do in Classic, where you walked through the entrance and messages would appear. The issue with that is, we can't guarantee that players will walk through them.

I think one thing that will attract new players is Skyblock. The servers are advertised as having it, and I updated the plugin to support it, but have yet to test it out. Also, I think that the new players find it strange being placed into an open world, rather than an elaborate spawn hub with portals going to various places.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar, 2016 - 10:53 pm 
Admin

Do remember that we've also tried a lot of what you've suggested. We had community farms in 1.7. We've attempted community builds several times on SMP and twice on Classic. Only one build took off, and that was the Classic Star Destroyer. On the 1.8 map, Setsuna/RedFox spent a week and a half setting up and protecting a player shop that nobody used. This last example is what I've limited the Admin Shop at spawn to *Very* basic items to get people started. It'll have people trading materials or find it themselves rather than purchasing it.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2016 - 9:10 pm 
Engineer

I agree that skyblock is a popular thing in Minecraft and will attract new players to the server. I remember the first thing I done when I joined the server was read the boards that were next to me so I could get a bit of information about the server, so I don't believe that they are that easily missed. Plus having them there will not be detrimental in any way meaning they are worth doing.

Satan I understand that some of these methods may have already been tried, which is why we should come up with some new ideas of ways we can bring new players to the server as I do not feel this server is getting as many players as it can and deserves.