It is currently Mon 29 Apr, 2024 - 12:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

Do you think assistants+ should be able to mute?
Poll ended at Sun 08 Jul, 2012 - 12:44 pm
Yes 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
No 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Muting
PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2012 - 12:44 pm 
Architect

Recently on the server, I and a few other members have encountered rude Guests. So, I have decided to run a Poll to decided is Assistants should be able to mute players. Please comment on what you think and answer the Poll! :)

Offline Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Muting
PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2012 - 1:41 pm 
Architect

i agree with this all the way.

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul, 2012 - 5:44 pm 
Architect

I also agree that they should have the power to do so.

TEAM RED
Members:
EnderKing (FloatingFatMan)
Walrus Prince (TheJamMammoth)
jazzi

Castellan of the Timelords

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul, 2012 - 7:04 pm 
Super Operator

I'm not quite sure on this, It would be good in some ways, but if a guest is rude, they are breaking the rules. So if they persist after being asked to stop, couldn't that assistant+ just tempban them?

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul, 2012 - 4:35 am 
Artisan

Never been in a situation where I've needed to mute a player myself because I was the only architect+ on. I would't mind the new command however it needs to be proven to be a necessity, rather than a desire for assistants and agents.
If players continuously swear and ignore the warnings from assistants+, I temporarily ban them for 30 minutes and specify the reason so if they are to come back, they'll come back with a better attitude.

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul, 2012 - 10:23 pm 
Admin

There's really no point to this since Assistants can just tempban as people have said before.

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jul, 2012 - 4:56 am 
Operator

well i am very active in the server and i havent seen so many situations where people is rude. if they are i think that /kick or /tempban could be very helpful in this situations. i dont think that it is nesesary to put mute command to assistant+ yet.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Aug, 2012 - 7:52 pm 
Super Operator

I fully agree with Gdssdg on this matter, however if a /mute command was made for the Assistant+ rank, perhaps you could do it as a /tempmute - the maximum time being something like 30 seconds (for assistants/agents), this could also be useful for the Op+'s aswell because it means they can leave the server without having to unmute the offender before leavin

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug, 2012 - 1:05 am 
Admin

Personally, I think that muting certain users can only cause to make the situation worse, especially if there aren't any ops on to contain the situation. Imagine a scenario where a user is becoming an annoyance, and an agent mutes them for 60 seconds. During that time, the user can launch an attack against the server, by either getting multiple clients to join and spam chat, or by attempting a DoS attack like the last person done when higher rankings were provoking them.

The best an Assistant or Agent could do then is stop the attack, very slowly (temp-banning multiple players can take time, especially complicated nicknames), for the grand total of 1 hour. If the attack is a DoS, the Assistant/Agent wouldn't even know about it until it got to a point where the server couldn't handle it, and started dropping connections. At that time, the only way one would find out is when I connect to Conroe, or someone informs me that they can't access any of our services. Since the service would not be able to be access from an external source, I could access it from within the same NAT, so not even another admin could resolve the situation.

I may however add this feature to HawkServ, similar to how the Undoing of others' actions works for other ranks. It may come in handy for other people with other servers. ^^

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug, 2012 - 5:02 am 
Architect

I agree with Zion on his one. I have seen less then a handful (very few) of mutes even take place on HawkNet. Now with the fact that minecraft.net is no longer servicing the fetcher to find new classic servers, I believe there will be less and less grief happening as time goes on.

Adding this would be just another thing that the Admins would have to watch for when it comes to people abusing their powers.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]