It is currently Mon 29 Apr, 2024 - 11:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Auto demote
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 - 6:21 am 
Artisan

This feature would work only for assistants to super op and it's quite simple
If you have not informed an admin and you're inactive for a month, then you're demoted.
Exceptions include if you have informed admins of you're temporary inactivity and why
This might sound harsh, but to put it bluntly. I am half sick of having to look at grief for a couple of hours because there are no ops on.
I actually intended this to make op activity higher so there's more modding going on. I actually first thought of this idea when I /whois checked a guest and he had blockmason requirements. He practically achieved that rank without any commands and restricted to the guest map which I found impressive but disappointing at the time.
I know it's harsh, but if you're actually doing your job, then you've got nothing to worry about because 1 month is quite a long time.

Edit: I didn't think of this idea. I thought of implementing it after I noticed my Warcraft 3 faction used this and saw it was very successful.

Edit 2: When you pm an admin or make a topic that goes along the lines of "I will be inactive for the next 2 months because I am going on holiday," You won't be demoted because you have informed everybody or people that need to know as to why you won't be able to moderate. People that make no effort to moderate and not inform people of their leave or inactivity are demoted, no questions asked.

Last edited by yellowyellow on Tue 31 Jan, 2012 - 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Auto demote
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 - 1:28 pm 
Agent

I do not like this idea here is why.
When my computer crashes it crashes hard sometimes anywhere from one to three months, which means if this were to go into effect after one crash I would come back to the server only to see I've been demoted. So I don't think this would be a fair idea, because sometimes being away from the server can not be helped.

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 - 1:51 pm 
Artisan

That's why I added the part that says "If you inform an admin of your temporary inactivity, you will not be demoted" to stop exactly that problem from occurring :P

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 - 2:15 pm 
Admin

I'm also not very keen on this system. You need to think about things on a global scale. HawkServ will not be just restricted to Hawknet, eventually it will become publicly available and not everyone will have a forums, or a website, and so on for the avoidance of things like this.

Secondly, if users have a large crash, and their system doesn't work very well afterwards, there's no guarantee that they'll be able to contact the community to prevent automatic demotion, which may cause the user to rage when they're all happy that they fixed their machine, and join their favorite community again, to find they've been dropped from the team.

If it were implemented, it would be an option to enable it, and I could see everyone who wants to use HawkServ disabling that option as soon as they know what it does.

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 - 2:26 pm 
Artisan

Well there are numeral ways to get this done and I did choose a month as it is quite a long time. You can go to a friends house, do it at school real quick, maybe even ask a friend to do it and etc. There are quite a lot of ways to do this and I really do think you can get it done in a month.
I didn't actually think of the public release so maybe we can just do it manually I guess. If that is the case, then this topic would probably have to get moved.

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 - 2:38 pm 
Agent

The point of my reply was that when my com crashes it crashes for months at a time do to there not being a lot of computer fixers in my area. Also when it comes down to it if I have to bug someone just to ask to use there computer to make a forum post I won't ask cause I see it as rude to them.

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 - 2:46 pm 
Artisan

Not even at school or work?

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 - 2:50 pm 
Agent

Not currently in school and its hard to find a job in this town so I am currently unemployed.

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 - 3:03 pm 
Artisan

And none of your other family members own computers, laptops etc?

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 - 3:07 pm 
Agent

I live away from most of my family, do to the fact that we get on each others nerves.

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 - 5:13 pm 
Agent

i think the this is a bad idea, but first before i say something... if im on smp alll the time, not classic, will that get me demoted?

and what i am gonna say is that it will be way too easy to get demoted

Leader of the Might City of Varlos

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 - 8:04 pm 
Super Operator

I'm not that fond of this idea either. Most servers usually don't have many operators or higher. So it is not that hard to keep track of. Also, even if someone is able to get on the server on someone's computer, it is not guaranteed that there will even be an admin there. The only way I could see this work is if the server was a really large one with lots of moderators.

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 - 8:12 pm 
Agent

In my opinion the opteam is big enough to have someone looking after it for most of the time, but too small to demote ops faster than we can promote new ones. I agree with Scope what this would work better on a bigger server though, but I think the system we have now works fine.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2012 - 1:03 am 
Agent

What's the need to automatically demote somebody? The admins would probably discuss the matter and decide when to demote an op if they have been inactive. Stuff happens in life and put bluntly minecraft isn't as important as real life and sometimes you have to take a break and sometimes can't access the ability to say "hey, i'll be gone for a while some stuff happened in my life." I often don't give any notice of when i go on a break unless i know it's going to be a long time.

People shouldn't be punished for not coming onto a game

People shouldn't be punished for something that others might not need to know about

Overall, this seems unfair as most ops+ are in highschool and have a lot of responsibility outside of a game. Personally i do a ton of things after school that have nothing to do with games and I have to remove time from doing them to be able to play on minecraft.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2012 - 2:10 am 
Artisan

Dmason: If this were implemented, this topic itself would explain your whereabouts
Ender: I put if for assistants +
Hard: Congratulation on the promotion, you earned it! An admin should always be there to actually see this. If admin activity was invalid for a month, I'd be worried
Igloo: If the op team is big enough, why is there consistent inactivity.
Geran: This system was very successful in the WC3 clan. Although, it was only for one of the highest competitors in a custom game called Vampirism Speed. Making a topic takes about 2 minutes with a computer. All you need to say is "I'm on holiday, I'll be gone for a month" and tada.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2012 - 8:13 pm 
Agent

I cant speak for anyone but myself, but I have a lot of things going on that i have to take care of. For example, the dance class i teach, the other dance classes I take, school, family issues and personal issues. I know that sometimes i dont feel like telling people im going to be gone, even though it might only take a few minutes. i believe the opteam tries hard enough to be online as much as possible without being stressed about a possible demotion, and so it is my opinion that the admins continue demoting ops as they see fit, rather than automatically demoting them regardless of how good an op they are.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2012 - 8:38 pm 
Admin

I also disagree with this. My parents are restricting my computer time more and more nowadays. What If I get grounded until my school marks get better? I'd have to be away for several months, maybe an entire semester trying to get my marks up and when I come back I find myself demoted. It would be quite upsetting if I did all that work getting back here to find myself demoted.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2012 - 11:34 pm 
Admin

Seems to be that this feature isn't going to be implemented, so, topic locked. ^_^

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]