It is currently Mon 29 Apr, 2024 - 10:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 - 9:45 am 
Artisan

A translator cmd with the command being /translate. Basically what it does is translate whatever language they are speaking to English. It would work like google translates auto detect, then translate directly to English. Although there are some errors. As I speak French, I know that the translators may be a bit dodgy. Lets say we had a French speaker. He said I'm 14 years old. In french, that is J'ai 14 ans. Back to English it means: I have 14 years. As each language has it's own rules to follow, it may come up a bit weird if it is implemented.
And is probably really hard to code, but may help a lot :D

Offline Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 - 9:54 am 
Agent

Nice idea you came up with there. Would be quiet useful as because, as we know, most of our Community doesn't speak English.. But yeah:

Christian9119 wrote:
And is probably really hard to code

That's the problem... :/

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 - 9:56 am 
Agent

this would make life a lot easier but a lot of people use slang too, which translators dont get. for example, finnish slang could be somehting like this: mä tuun sitt ku mull o omena täss mun vieress.
no translator existing today could translate that.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 - 11:17 am 
Artisan

I guess, but if the translator doesn't work, it should just ignore it and have it come up with the original text.
It really depends on the sort of wordlists your using. If your using a really good payed one, then you should be fine. If your using a casual primary school dictionary wordlist, then it may not work as well. The translator should also state what language the person is speaking for convenience if nobody speaks the language. They could just hop onto google then translate into their language if they have to.
You might be able to buy one a really good one for about $10, then use a translator like google to translate the words over. Although, some words dont exist in other languages, it should still be fine since the word will never be said.
But it all boils down to what the person says at the time. If he starts using too much slang, then somebody might have to translate into his own language and tell him to stop using slang.
And yes Igloo, no translator may not be able to translate that. But if it is coded, then it should just add an exception where the translator is told not to translate typos or anything not included in the wordlist that would be used.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 - 2:47 pm 
Admin

A translation system may not be the best thing to implement here. Mostly because people don't talk properly in their own language (slang) and sometimes special characters are used to make it look 'cool' or shorten what needs to be typed. Another reason using lists to compare words is that most languages have different meanings for words, and some words don't exist between languages.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 - 3:17 pm 
Artisan

But you should be able to interpret an accurate hypothesis judged on what the player says the majority of the time.
If some words don't exist between languages, then it would be shown as what the player originally said if it was unable to be translated.
I was just thinking that it may be useful for guests who do not speak English. If they are using slang however, then any player could come up with a rational conclusion including maybe going onto translator and asking that they speak properly in there language so the auto translator works. If they refuse to, then they get banned for not complying and being warned to do so, even with there ability to speak English is practically fluent, or pass for being able to type the language.

Last edited by yellowyellow on Wed 04 Jan, 2012 - 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 - 4:35 pm 
Admin

At the minute, banning people for not talking the language is a little extreme, especially if you don't know or understand the primary language of the server. You also need to account for what other server hosters may want, they may not be so strict on languages.

Hawknet is not strict on language, it's just preferred if users speak English since it's the primary language of most of our users. We certainly don't ban people for talking in another language. If two friends or two people are talking to each other it's easier to get them to whisper to each other, rather than throw warnings and threaten to ban them.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 - 5:25 pm 
Artisan

Oh sorry, I meant refusing to even though they can speak English. I''l edit that. But what are your final thoughts and conclusions about the suggestion? Cons and disadvantages, that sort of thing :D

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 - 5:40 pm 
Builder

It would take years for Zion to implement something like this, it just isn't worth it since it wouldn't be that accurate even when finished. Combined the operator team speaks about 10 different languages, which includes the most common ones like French, Spanish, German etc. Not to mention several other higher rank users that speak languages other than English. To be honest I don't think I have ever come across someone who could speak English refusing to do so.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 - 6:48 pm 
Artisan

Hmm I see. Just thought it might be a good idea :D

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 - 8:04 pm 
Agent

When someone is speaking a different language i usually open google translate and ask them if they can speak english in their native language, if they can't then i just tell them that since we are an english server communication might be hard but we'll try and help the best we can; which usually generates a good response from them.

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 - 9:36 pm 
Agent

agree ^

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 - 9:59 pm 
Agent

although it is a good idea i think it would be very hard
as we will need to program it for as many languages there are and peoplpe use slang alot too which wont come up as a language but... this is a good idea...

Leader of the Might City of Varlos

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 - 11:15 pm 
Builder

There are about 6909 languages spoken in the world, and that is just formal languages. It would take at least a year just to do a single one. :P

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2012 - 8:14 am 
Agent

plus there is ALL the words

Leader of the Might City of Varlos

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2012 - 8:57 am 
Artisan

That's why I was thinking that a player buys a wordlist. Preferably a good one, not one that's suited for primary school but one similar to a 2 thousand word oxford dictionary, then uses a a translator to translate the words around. It wouldn't matter if some words don't exist in others and you wouldn't have to delete them from the wordlist either since the word wouldn't be said.
The rest is a matter of coding which I'd rather not be bothered to do, even if I was getting payed a lot for it :D

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2012 - 8:55 pm 
Builder

...So leave Zion all of the hard work? D:

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2012 - 11:10 pm 
Agent

or you could just load up google translate :3

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2012 - 11:28 pm 
Builder

Pretty much xD

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2012 - 3:10 am 
Artisan

But sometimes you don't know what language they are speaking, especially if they aren't even using a Latin alphabet. But I find the chances of that being under something like 7%. That's why I suggested something like a message saying "Translating from language to English" for convenience. Plus it can be a hassle.

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2012 - 6:06 pm 
Agent

google translate has a "detect language" function that will automatically find the language you entered. apart from that, i dont even know if minecraft supports other alphabets when it doesnt even support å,ä or ö.

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2012 - 6:34 pm 
Artisan

Ahh true.

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2012 - 3:26 pm 
Admin

It does have special characters (Minecraft's font texture file has around 350 entries), however I have yet to get the server to render them, and most of them are symbols anyway. Without users downloading a new font texture (or if they use a custom one D:) this can cause more of an issue.

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2012 - 3:43 pm 
Artisan

I see. Probably too hard to code anyways, and they're are other methods that are less difficult than coding an entire translator into Hawknet :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]