It is currently Mon 06 May, 2024 - 7:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep, 2011 - 10:40 pm 
Admin

As a pre-warning, the server software will not be updating to 1.8 as soon as it's released. The main reason for this is because we have to rely on several other parties for this update to be as trouble free as possible.

I recommend that you all create a backup of your current minecraft, named "minecraft.jar.1.7". This name stops the jar from working, and technically keeps as a backup. If you upgrade, or want to join the server, you need to use this version. You can restore the version by making a copy of the backup, and renaming it to "minecraft.jar".

The location of your minecraft.jar file varies on the operating system used:
  • Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\.minecraft\bin\
  • Windows Vista/7 - C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin\
  • Mac OSX - /Users/<Username>/Library/Application Support/minecraft/bin/
  • Linux - /<Username or Home>/.minecraft/bin
    where <Username> is your computers login name
    On Windows, the 'Application Data' and 'AppData' folders are hidden. If you don't see them just type "%appdata% into the startbar/run.
    On Linux, any folder prefixed with '.' is hidden, type ".minecraft" after the address bar to navigate there.

Once Bukkit, and most of the plugins we have update to support the latest bukkit revision (which will likely be an updated version of 1.8 (1.8.1/1.8.2 etc), then I'll update the server. Unfortunatly my skills in Java are not that good to update the software or plugins myself, which is why there will be a wait.

I will announce when the server update to 1.8 is final. Other than that, it's probably better to have multiple backups, and change between them on demand.

Offline Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon 12 Sep, 2011 - 12:23 am 
Agent

^^ What he said :3

PostPosted: Mon 12 Sep, 2011 - 12:45 am 
Agent

New map when we update? If so, then we would have some randomly generated stuff to mess around with...and ravines. I love ravines :D

PostPosted: Mon 12 Sep, 2011 - 12:51 am 
Agent

gotta love them ravines. I have 1.7.3 backed up at school and at home :3 i'm spacial

PostPosted: Mon 12 Sep, 2011 - 6:55 am 
Admin

Possibly a new map, it depends on what the community want. I can tell a lot of effort has been but into some of the builds, but then a lot of items have been gained illegitimately.

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2011 - 3:30 pm 
Agent

I vote for a new map, but in the meantime I suggest that you make a back up of the map you have, then clear it and have a 100% vanilla server until the plugins get caught up. It lets people explore the new biomes and make a better decision on if they want the old map back or not.

Just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2011 - 3:39 pm 
Admin

True, and in that sense, a completely pluginless version of 1.8.1 server is now running on hawknetcomputing.co.uk:5839.

This server may not be up all the time, since it runs test builds of bukkit, which are updated often.

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep, 2011 - 8:17 pm 
Agent

oh.... i didnt back-up my files :P but if zion can get the new beta server working nicely then i vote we keep it. Its pretty awesome :)