It is currently Fri 19 Apr, 2024 - 8:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2015 - 3:36 am 
Admin

Here you will find a list of all of our ranks on the SMP server, and the requirements for each.

Difficulty level: 2
Earned by building.
Examples:
Spoiler: show

Difficulty level: 4
Earned by building.
Examples:

Difficulty level: 7
Earned by building.
Examples:

Difficulty level: 10
Earned by building.
Examples:

Earned by showing knowledge of commands and reporting abuse.

Must apply on forum when applications are open.

Must already be an operator to be eligible. Chosen by admin team.

Chosen by admin team.

Offline Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Question.
PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun, 2015 - 7:15 am 
Builder

So seeing as the one large (and very colorful) build that is under the engineer section was in the 'creative world' when that particular screenshot was taken of it. Could then, a build similar in size and unique-ness also built in the creative world also be potential 'engineer' material?

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun, 2015 - 2:21 pm 
Admin

Only that one was done in creative. The other was done in survival. It's possible to get the engineer rank in creative however it's exceedingly difficult as we criticize the build much more harshly, to the point of what would get Engineer in survival will only receive Blockmason or Architect in creative. But it's all at the Op+'s discretion. It's their choice whether a build receives a rank or not. I personally don't give any ranks for pixel art at all whereas Zion might see a fantastic pixel art creation and give it builder. These are only examples to help you see how grandiose your build needs to be at each rank, not the scale upon which we base ranking on.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun, 2015 - 6:35 pm 
Admin

I've always said "If the build is worth the rank above your next in creative maps, you get the next rank.", however it's not an official ruling, only I do it to my knowledge.

IE: If you, as a Image, build a building worthy of Image in any of our creative maps, you will earn the rank Image.

Additionally, I tend to use my emotional response to the building too. If the building is a average, small in size, simple materials used, not much thought process, but remains functional, has a good size and internal dimensions, and draws a good amount of light inside it, it's very likely worth Builder. I will often personally assist Guests to make their builds a little better, or meet the standard, hopefully fuelling their creation ideas.

If a build is impressively designed, makes good use of surroundings, incorporates a good function and even has room for furniture, it's very likely going to be worth Architect. I will not help people who have a build and let them gain Architect.

If a build blows me away, contains wonderful visual designs, masses of function, and even contains a few surprises that are equally as good, it's very likely going to get Engineer in my book. Only a few people have actually gained Engineer, one of whom was CodyHarlan before his promotion to Agent. He continuously built variations in designs, ranging from a mesa top home, to a series of floating interconnected islands, all of which he created himself. He's often the one who builds the EnderFarm in the End, and always makes it open to the public.

This is just for me however, and I will often invite another Op+ over to the build to get their opinion on it too. If no such op+ is online, then the judgement is my own, of course.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun, 2015 - 7:28 pm 
Admin

I agree with Zion, both of the examples you see for engineer would only be worth architect if built in creative. It gets more complicated when you have more than one person working on the same build though, but the way I see it, if two people built something in survival worth engineer, both of them would get architect.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2015 - 10:25 am 
Builder

So, then continuing off of all that. Is a creative build even possible then. Seeing as engineer is the highest build rank does that mean that no matter how extensively amazing a build is in creative it could only ever earn Architect for it? Or just does it have to be 'the greatest thing ever'? Because Zion said, if you build something worthy of Engineer you will get Architect. Does that 'vary' or is there exceptions to that? And perhaps has there been exceptions to that, a build being made in creative and earning highest build rank?

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2015 - 8:25 pm 
Admin

A little insight. The spawn castle was created by our very own Loosebeat, way back when. He was building it for Igloosaurus, and we granted him creative mode to build it. This would have earned him Engineer had we had that rank back then, but we did not. If I recall correctly, he's an Assistant, which is a similar rank to Agent.

Builds in Creative are possible, but you need to blow us away with vastness, attention to detail, function, design aspects, etc. Building in Creative maps is the hardest because resource gathering is made easier. A build worth Architect in Creative will likely be worth Engineer in survival, however this doesn't mean you can build an Architect worth build in a Creative map, and then have it moved to survival to get an Engineer rank.

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2015 - 8:34 pm 
Builder

Alrighty Zion, thank you for the information :)

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jun, 2015 - 2:05 am 
Builder

And another question. Shouldn't, or is, the current Rank taken into account when making the decision on whether a build by a specific player is worthy of a certain rank. Like, for example if two players with rank Architect and Builder are building the same build to obtain rank engineer (different individual builds, just the same looking). If they both created and finished the builds, In my opinion (depending on the build) the builder would (let's say he 'just barely') get Engineer (if build is worthy of that particular rank), but the Architect if let's say they made the same thing, it shouldn't be 'worth' as much or in this case shouldn't be worth Engineer. Because if you take into account the fact that the builder has no special advantages; However, the Architect can fly, making it significantly easier for them to build whatever they are building.
Or perhaps other examples, that don't regard ranks and their advantages:

Location in the Server World (only applies to non flatland and non nether worlds)
Mountains
Plains
Over / Under Water

World Built In
Creative (already disused that this makes it worth 'less' than if it was in survival)
Nether (Harder, less block choice, Lava, Mobs O' Plenty)
Other Worlds accessible via portals

So my question is this:
Are variables such as the ones I mentioned taken into consideration when the 'grading' of a build takes place regarding which rank it should receive, and do other external influences that aren't part of the build affect the build overall (grade-wise) or is it just how the build itself looks?
And if other variables influence the grade of a build, it would be nice to have a 'list' -if you will- of which things do and don't affect builds for the better and worse. :D

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jun, 2015 - 3:56 am 
Admin

As mentioned above, 'grading' is dependant of the Op+ who is doing the grading. I cannot say for other Op+'s, however I do take into account the map, and user's current rank into account when building, in addition to the abilities you gain in certain maps. For example, our Ocean Survival map has specific settings which completely block the ability for anyone to do anything overpowered. Only those in ops.json (Admin team) can override this, but everyone else doesn't have any teleporting abilities, or ability to set homes, or fly, or change gamemode, or use /heal / /feed, etc. In addition to this, due to practically everyone on their own somewhat small island, being able to build something of an Engineer grade is worth more than in survival.

In short, both the user's current rank, and the map they built in is taken into account, at least by myself, I cannot say for other Ops.

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jun, 2015 - 8:39 am 
Builder

Alrighty Zion! Thanks for your knowledge once again :3 It's much appreciated :D