It is currently Fri 29 Mar, 2024 - 1:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Updates
PostPosted: Fri 11 Oct, 2013 - 7:32 am 
Admin

There has been a craftbukkit recommended build for 1.6.2 out for about a month now. I casually mentioned this in the chat box the day (or day after) it was released, but got no response. I'm just wondering, what plugins are we waiting for to update, or what the deal is?

Personally, I'm fine with 1.5.2, but it didn't seem like anyone else was going to ask, so I thought I'd make a topic about it.

Also, I thought maybe we could make a topic about update progress, we could show plugins that have been updated in green, along with plugins that haven't been updated in red, and what ever else is needed for us to update. If you guys think it's a good idea, I'll make the topic myself. I have plenty of time to check for updates, I don't mind.

Offline Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Updates
PostPosted: Fri 11 Oct, 2013 - 12:35 pm 
Admin

The issue that I have with this is the fact that we have to wait for so long before we can update things because of third parties, and there is never any gratitude towards the administration team being shown for providing the server.

This and Minecraft in itself becomes a boring and dull thing to play makes me wanting to spend hours finding the new updates to plugins, replacing plugins that were dropped, and making sure everything works seems unworthy of time or effort, especially since people don't appreciate it, and then Minecraft decide to update within the month.

This is the issue with Minecraft. Due to the updates being so game breaking, and the third party doing the server taking so long to release a good enough version, and then the fourth party plugin developers either abandoning or taking even longer developing them, and then they'll have a dependancy on another plugin which will consume more resources for a tiny tiny little thing (and opening up more security flaws), or not work at all, meaning one would have to research into replacement plugins, or hope that they work, and then having to learn new commands, figure out why some things aren't working, and then watching as the community exploit and abuse some aspects of the system, gets very tiresome and not really worth it when it needs to be repeated a month or two down the line...

This is why I've been starting to provide for other games, or at least tried to. The issue with the community is that they're mostly under age, meaning they can't exactly go and buy a cheap game on their own behalf. We run a Terraria server, and granted the third party server is third party, but is often updated almost immediately, and is feature rich enough that it's almost like Hawkserv, or HMod, where most of the commands and features come with the server, instead of being a pure API for plugin developers to use. The bonus to this is it's all written in C#, which gives me easier access and more power to develop my own things into it.

We'll likely be providing a Starbound server, when that's released too, which the game developers themselves will be providing a decent server, with LUA access to change things.

Post subject: Re: Updates
PostPosted: Sun 13 Oct, 2013 - 11:05 am 
Admin

Thanks for clearing that up.

For the record, I greatly appreciate the time and effort you put into the server, as I'm sure many others do, even if they don't say it.

I just wish there was some way I could help.