It is currently Sun 05 May, 2024 - 6:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun 04 Mar, 2012 - 7:04 pm 
Admin

Many people have been wondering what's happened to Hawknet SMP and when it will be updated to 1.2.x. This topic is to inform and update you on what's happening with the SMP server.

Firstly, we do not know when the server will be updated. I can't stress this enough. Hawknet SMP relies on several parties to make it work. We need a working and stable version of the Bukkit server wrapper which is in active development by the Bukkit Team. We also need to wait for several plugin developers to update their plugin to the latest Bukkit version. There will be a new topic explaining what has happened, what's new, and what has had to be removed due to the developers abandoning it.

Secondly, there will be a new map. The current map will be saved and will be put up for download for your own uses on these forums. There is no guarantee that everything will work with the map, or that it will even successfully convert to the new map system and you download it as is.

The reason we are doing this is because many things have happened in the current map that cannot be reversed. The map is a mixture between the 1.0 release, and the 1.1 release, and so two world generation codes have had their hands on it, corrupting chunks, and altering the biomes (hence the major freeze, and spawn becoming a swamp). The new map will also spawn and cleanly generate the new block types, and jungles. :3

Lastly, all of the plugins on the server today may not exist come 1.2. The new map system called Anvil has altered how the co-ordinates are set, and it has broken all plugins that do remotely anything with blocks, items, or players. Some plugins have already been updated to use the new system, but some of them have been abandoned by their developers, and so will not be updated.

In terms of this, all of the current Warps in the map will be deleted, and the plugin controlling them may not exist if it's not updated in time. I advise you logon and warp to the locations you want and note down their position, as there will be no way to recover them after 1.2. Homes, and Faction locations will also be lost in this mode. There will be no recovery, so it is up to you to note down their locations if you get the version of the map for yourself.

Here is a list of the plugins that we use. I will colour code them to represent if they have been updated to 1.2, are planning to update to 1.2, if they haven't been updated but may still work, or have been abandoned, and will likely be removed.

AutoMessage - May be replaced with AutoAnnouncer
    Essentials
    EssentialsChat
    EssentialsProtect
    EssentialsSpawn

Factions
    HelloWorld
    HeroicDeath
    LogBlock
    LWC

MobDisguise
    MultiInv
    Multiverse-Core
    Multiverse-Portals

MyWarp - May be updated or use a different plugin
    Permissions
    PermissionsEx

PorteCoulissante
    properTime
    RedstoneLighting
    RetractableBridge

SafeCreeper
    serversave
    SetRankPEX

SimpleSignEdit
    Superpickaxe
    WaterproofRedstone

This list is not final. Plugins listed here may not be updated when it comes, and they may not work fully. A new list of plugins that we use will be announced when we update to 1.2.

If you have any questions that have not been covered in this post, please reply and I'll try to answer them as best I can.

Offline Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2012 - 12:42 pm 
Architect

Is the RedstoneLighting plugin really still required with the release of redstone lamps?

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2012 - 12:53 pm 
Admin

Not entirely, but it does things that redstone lamps don't. It allows the lighting and extinguishing of netherrack, and also glowstone too. This can give for different effects in builds, so I may very well keep it. ^^

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2012 - 3:02 pm 
Agent

the redstone powering for those are so picky :\

PostPosted: Sat 10 Mar, 2012 - 8:43 pm 
Agent

I got a suggestion:

Yes, I am very aware of that plugins are not working properly. But couldn't the server be updated right now, and install the plugins which are working with 1.2? I mean, there's a lot of servers, already on 1.2, and are coping with broken or un-updated plugins very well. If there is a problem with, for example, LWC, then the server could be whitelisted for the time being until all the plugins are fixed/updated. The only people that would be on the whitelist would be the original Hawknet members, so no new guests would be allowed to come in. I really want to play 1.2 on Hawknet SMP, and I know that I'm not the only one.