It is currently Sun 05 May, 2024 - 8:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2012 - 12:56 am 
Admin

As you all may know, Minecraft is being updated to 1.2 in the coming days. I've been checking over the changelogs that are currently viewable, and noticed a few that could be problematic to Hawknet SMP.

The first thing is that the update may be using is a new map format. This will call for a new SMP map, as the old one will be incompatible. There may be a method of converting to the new map system, however the last system for this didn't work.

If the map still uses the players inventory system, I will try to move the inventories over. There is no guarantee that this works though, and will need to be tested.

The second issue is that coming with the new map system, and new co-ordinate system will be used. The current co-ordinate system is X/Z/Y, where X is West and East, Z is Up and Down, and Y is North and South. The new system will be Y/Z/X, where Y is West and East, and X is North and South. This means that every single plugin that does anything with blocks, block locations, or player positions will need to be updated. It is a relatively simple fix (change the x to y, and vice versa), however we are depending on the developers to fix it.

From the top of my head, the plugins that will be effected are:
    Essentials
    MyWarp
    LogBlock
    LWC
    Factions
    Multiverse
There may be others, but I can't think of them now. Some of these may be out of date (I haven't updated LWC in a while because there has been no need, but if it's discontinued, there'll be no more LWC.

In conclusion, Hawknet SMP will not be updating to 1.2 until all major plugins have been updated to work with it. After that, we'll go through the updating phase, in which case a new map will be made. I will attempt to save the Creative map, and in a lighter note, there seems to be some rumours that a Skylands world type will return (Skylands was replaced by The_End in 1.0).

So, don't update your clients until we're ready, or at least keep a backup of your 1.1 installation. They are stored in static locations on various operating systems, and can be found:
Windows: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar
Max OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar
Linux: ~/.minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar

I use the method above, of renaming my minecraft.jar's to the version so they're easily refrencable. I currently have the installations back to 1.2 Beta, named minecraft.jar.b1.2, minecraft.jar.b1.3, minecraft.jar.b1.4, etc. I find this the best method, however I am not at liberty to distribute it due to Mojang's Terms and Conditions, so you'll have to make your backup yourself. ^^

We hope you find this informative, and hope you enjoy Hawknet SMP and Minecraft, and we apologise for the inconvenience.

Offline Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2012 - 1:26 am 
Agent

Just 3 questions:

1) Will you make a downloadable version of the current map, once we get a new map?
Reason: I have build really good creations, and I would like to move them to a SP world, which will be mine.

2) Could we get a new Creative map? If so, could you do the same thing to it as Q1
Reason: -

3) Could there be 2 Creative worlds? One would be a Normal type world and the other Superflat.
Reason: Most of the builds I do (and other people do) need a flat area. But some builds are designer for 'hilly' terrain, so 2 creative maps would be useful.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2012 - 1:36 am 
Admin

A1: Yes, of course. I can put all maps up for download for you to use as single player maps. They'll be relatively large though, so you may be waiting a while depending on your internet.

A2: Yep, for the same reasons as A1.

A3: I was actually thinking about a flatlands map. It may not be called Creative2, but rather Flatlands or FlatGrass. These will both be creative mode, for awesome builds.

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2012 - 1:38 am 
Agent

yay!

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2012 - 1:39 am 
Agent

Thanks for the quick answer :)

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2012 - 3:53 pm 
Agent

thanks zion, will the old maps be downloaded directly from forums?

Leader of the Might City of Varlos

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2012 - 4:48 pm 
Admin

They'll be downloaded directly from Hawknet, no media sharing sites necessary.

PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb, 2012 - 12:45 am 
Agent

Btw. Installing a no fire/lava spread mod would probably be in the best interest of those who will download the map because many things will burn.

PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb, 2012 - 9:45 am 
Agent

yes, very true

Leader of the Might City of Varlos

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2012 - 12:08 am 
Admin

So I've now got 1.2 and I want to play with my favorite community on SMP. What's the ETA on Hawknet's update?

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2012 - 12:44 am 
Builder

Like Zion said, probably not until all plugins that need to update have, and of course, Bukkit itself. This can take anywhere from 1 week to a month to get all plugins ready.

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2012 - 1:28 am 
Admin

1 week to a month... Could ya narrow it down a bit?

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2012 - 1:39 am 
Builder

Not really sure what Zion's plan is, but I know he's going to wait for the Bukkit 1.2RB and it usually takes plugins around a week sometimes to update, so maybe the second or third week of march :3

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2012 - 3:19 am 
Admin

Indeed. It could be a case that the server may not be updated at all, because major plugins that we use for great functionality have been abandoned by its developers, and have not updated their core to use the new map system.

Any plugin that does anything to blocks, items, or player positions, or anything relating to the co-ordinate system will not work with 1.2 due to the map system update.

Since the merge between Mojang and Bukkit, Bukkit server releases should be more often, if not on time with the client update. The problem lies with the plugin developers, since server owners rely on them now.

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2012 - 3:44 am 
Builder

On a side note, I'd like to say that a few of Hawknet's major plugins have updated so far:
LWC
Essentials
PEX

Probably more to come :D I'm pretty glad LWC updated, I thought it's developer abandoned it

PostPosted: Sun 04 Mar, 2012 - 3:06 pm 
Banned

Hey guys you said it would be the 3rd of march when it updated............. its the 3rd now and no update??? :cry:

PostPosted: Sun 04 Mar, 2012 - 3:49 pm 
Agent

we never gave any set date on the update. I've told you 5 times now that it's up to when the plugins update. Sniper was giving an estimation of 2nd to 3rd week of march not day. Most plugin devs are probably waiting for a solid 1.2 build before finally updating so that they don't have to update again until 1.3. Most mods still haven't updated yet.

PostPosted: Sun 04 Mar, 2012 - 4:28 pm 
Admin

This is correct. If you wanted to play on the server, you should not have updated your client. There was plenty of warning given, both in-game and on the forums.

PostPosted: Sun 04 Mar, 2012 - 4:34 pm 
Agent

I feel like I'm the only one that comes on SMP right now.. Which means I'm the wise one to keep my 1.1 .jar :D

PostPosted: Sun 04 Mar, 2012 - 4:40 pm 
Agent

i kept it...i'm just making something in 1.2 SSP