It is currently Sat 27 Apr, 2024 - 3:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2011 - 10:26 pm 
Admin

I am once again getting an infinite connecting screen, I've tried connecting from wom and from minecraft.net, i always get to the connecting screen and after 10 seconds i have to force close wom or firefox. I've tried 2 different connections, a 3mb dsl connection and a 1.5mb mobile broadband connection. What ticks me off is there are other people on the server, and its just me who isn't able to connect. This makes absolutely NO sense to me... Maybe someone could explain? Thanks.

Edit: Oh and other servers work fine.

Offline Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2011 - 10:41 am 
Admin

The problem is a current recurring bug which i am not 100% sure on what causes it, but i'm 99% sure it's memory and sockets based.

What happens is, throughout the day (especially over the last few days) many people connect and disconnect from the server, and when the server is full, people try to connect and are disconnected immediatly. From here, my theory is that the sockets remain open, which take a small amount of memory, however many of these open sockets will take a large amount of memory. At some point which i have not yet defined, the server refuses any more connections, which displays the end user an infinite connecting screen. The people who are still playing will remain connected until they go, or the server restarts.

When this happenes, best way to resolve it is by contacting either myself or chris when we're online (IM or steam is best). We'll restart the server, which 'resets' everything.

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jun, 2011 - 6:15 pm 
Admin

Got it, thanks a lot for clearing this up :)

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 - 11:23 am 
Admin

I'm getting a connecting screen again, worst part is, i left an architect in charge of guest because i had to leave for about 30 minutes, and there was 1 architect, 1 blockmason, 4 builders and about 8 guests :shock: I thought this bug was fixed but maybe it was a different bug... Anyway im just letting you know it's still happening.

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 - 12:22 pm 
Admin

We've just woken up and had an internetz downage. That may be the cause of the connection issues you're having. Server is up and running now though.

Plus, I THINK I may have fixed the bug regarding sockets, however I cannot test this without lots of people connecting and disconnecting. It's a bit confusing, since after the 67.4.1.1 update it crashed with similar errors within the hour, however after that it was up all day without a problem. Time will tell on the status of this bug.